Folklore detective Asou Daisuke would rather deal with normal, everyday, things like cheating spouses, embezzling partners and the like. (That and his huge collection of ero-manga.) Because whenever he deals with the supernatural, he gets the hiccups. But no matter, an endless stream of desperate people come to him troubled by what he calls allegories. Those are stories, usually urban legends, that one believes to be true and if one believes strong enough can cause them to become true.
The series as a whole provides examples of:
* JourneyToTheCenterOfTheMind: Hanako is able to use a machine to send Asou into a girl's mind to find the allegory and stop it.
* MindScrew: Approaches this close to the end of the story.
* RewritingReality: Happens whenever an allegory is defeated to wrap up stories.
* [[spoiler: TakingYouWithMe: Mizunashi Yousuke decides to try this with his entire class on a field trip by steering the bus into a nearby lake.]]
* TheSwarm: Happens when many tiny dolls are possessed by the Mary allegory. They all have little knives which makes for DeathOfAThousandCuts .
* UrbanLegend: The manga follows the context that believing an urban legend exists will cause it to manifest and probably kill you.