[[caption-width-right:350:[[http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/Kopie_von_Extra-Weimar2010_VC.PNG The world in 2020]]]]Weimar World started its life on the [[http://www.alternatehistory.com Alternate History Forums]] as a thread titled ''AH Challenge: The Weimar Republic Survives TL''.
The timeline starts diverging when Wolfgang Kapp decides to hold a rousing speech at the Reichstag instead of trying the coup the Weimar Germany.
Without this inherent weakness, the [[WeimarGermany Weimar Republic]] struggles on. Eventually, Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck takes power in Germany while Hitler starts a civil war in Austria (which is promptly annexed and pacified by Germany). Without a powerful belligerent country in Central Europa, Stalin's Soviet Union focuses on Asia, taking on Japan.
Continuing through the decades, this alternate timeline sees the gradual unification of Europe, the continuing existance of the League of Nations, and the violent (and nuclear) breakup of the Soviet Union. The timeline ends in the 2019s in a somewhat brighter world.
The original thread can be read [[http://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=15985 here]]. The condensed version is [[http://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=61333 here]].
!!This story provides examples of:
* AdolfHitler: Dies unmourned during the Austrian Civil War.
* AllGermansAreNazis: Averted.
* AlternateHistory: It is implicit.
* AWorldHalfFull: Despite all setbacks (even including a civil war where nukes are flying around), it's much more hopeful than even our timeline.
* BalkanizeMe: Russia after the Soviet civil war, China.
* ForWantOfANail: Wolfgang Kapp makes a speech to parliament instead of a coup while a nameless informant leaks that Adolf Hitler is a Reichswehr spy in the DAP.
* CheeseEatingSurrenderMonkeys: Averted in that France actually [[spoiler:wins their major war with Italy in the 1940s.]]
* FrenchJerk: France proved to be one so much that its former colonies ''kicked it out of the French Union''!
* HistoricalInJoke: A few. There's [[Music/TheBeatles the "Berlin Invasion" in the US and UK during the 60s, where the German group "Sealion" sees massive popularity]].
* OhCrap: Europe's reaction when [[spoiler:Italy, Hungary and Poland invade Czechoslovakia and threaten to partition[[note]]divide up the territory[[/note]] among themselves]].
* PuttingOnTheReich: Subverted, as the official name of the Weimar Republic has always been ''Das Deutsche Reich''.
* SlidingScaleOfIdealismVersusCynicism: Rather idealistic, all things considered.
* SlapOnTheWristNuke: Nuclear weaponry is used much later than in OTL, but the advances in nuclear technology are far greater, and the fallout is almost nil.
* ThoseWackyNazis: Decided to start a civil war in Austria which decimated their ranks. Ultimately, the German Republic cleaned up their mess by annexing Austria (to everybody's relief).
* UnitedEurope: The (Northern) European Alliance has been going strong since 1938 and, 80 years later, has evolved into a true federation.
* WeimarRepublic: It lasts beyond the modern day.
* WorldWarII: Averted. There are many localised conflicts, however.