''Vertical Run'' is a novel about a man having a very bad day. Dave is the vice president of a big company. He gets up, jogs to work, takes a shower in his office bathroom, gets dressed and finds everyone he knows trying to kill him.
!!''VerticalRun'' provides examples of:
* BavarianFireDrill: Played with. The GenreSavvy Mr. Ransome expects one, Dave changes his clothes and hair to help him with one, and it's almost mentioned by name. It's called a "Chinese Fire Drill".
* BigApplesauce: The setting.
* BigBad: Mr. Ransome is not very nice.
* BerserkButton: Dave delivers a [[GroinAttack groin]] [[IncrediblyLamePun shot]] to Mr. Ransome with his handgun. It missed, but narrowly.
* ClusterFBomb: Mr. Ransome's reaction to almost having a bullet aerate his testicles.
* EtTuBrute and HeroicBSOD: Dave has one when his wife betrays him.
* ItsPersonal: Dave's kids are not to be messed with.
* LaughingMad: Dave experiences this.
* MustHaveCaffeine: Dave
* TheStoic: Mr. Ransome watches people die and keeps the same expression.
* YouAreACreditToYourRace: Bernie's assessment of an earlier (unheard) interaction with Ransom's forces includes them saying, "Thanks, you're a good American. For a Jew, that is."