%% Image selected per Image Pickin' thread: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=1335415127063500100
%% Please do not change or remove without starting a new thread.
[[caption-width-right:350:"[[UsefulNotes/MuhammadAli Float like a butterfly]], sting like a horse!"]]
->'''Raven:''' Aren't ninja supposed to "fight with honor" and all that?\\
'''Ninja:''' Nah, you're thinking of samurai. Ninja kill silently from the darkness.
Not every character fights like the KnightInShiningArmor. Dirty fighting is a staple of many genres. Its regular appearance can mark a work as [[SlidingScaleOfIdealismVersusCynicism more serious, 'gritty' and realistic]] (not to mention DarkerAndEdgier).
There are lots of ways to work more 'resourceful' combatants into scenes and stories, but the key to good dirty fighting is twofold: [[CombatPragmatist a willingness on the part of the fighters to use whatever is available to them]] in combat, and a willingness to use [[ManipulativeBastard psychological]] [[TrashTalk tricks]] in order to gain the upper hand. Inventive tactics and an ability to improvise are naturally assets. The best examples of series taking this approach to heart will see characters [[FakingTheDead play possum]], [[MindScrew play head games]], and [[NoHoldsBarredBeatdown play hardball as soon as things get close]]. Anything goes in a real fight, after all.
That the contents within are TruthInTelevision goes without saying.
The trope's name comes from "Ridin[='=]" by Chamillionaire (and not, [[WeirdAlEffect as you might suppose]], "White and Nerdy" by Music/WeirdAlYankovic).
For dirty fighting without the actual fighting, see DirtySocialTricks. See also DistractionTropes.
* BulletproofHumanShield - using an enemy (or a friend or InnocentBystander, for ''really'' nasty bad guys) as cover against another enemy
* GoForTheEye - the eye gouge is a favored tactic of the more lethal dirty fighter.
* HammerspaceHair - When used to hide sharp objects, especially common in RealLife.
* AHandfulForAnEye - the time-honored trick of giving your foe an amateur optometry checkup with some nearby dirt or sand.
* ScrewTheRulesTheyBrokeThemFirst (when a victim of dirty play retaliates this way)
* TalkToTheFist - smacking (or shooting) somebody mid-speech.
* Many of UsefulNotes/TheThirtySixStratagems qualify.
* WeNeedADistraction and all subtropes