One day, in a small town in Nevada, trucks become sentient beings wishing to kill or enslave all the squishy meatbags. Somehow, the trucks are able to control every part of themselves, and rampage around a small truckstop. After killing several members of the cast, the trucks make it obvious what they want. To be fed by the gas station owner.
"[=Trucks=]" is a Creator/StephenKing short story from the anthology ''Literature/NightShift'' that was later adapted into a made-for-tv movie by the same name. The story had previously been made into a much more loosely adapted movie, ironically directed by King himself, called ''Film/MaximumOverdrive''.
!!This story/movie contains examples of:
* AdaptationExpansion: A decent amount is added to the short story, while staying most faithful to it.
* DrivesLikeCrazy: Everyone assumes this until they finally figure out no one's driving.
* DownerEnding: In the book, [[spoiler:not only do the trucks emerge victorious, but the story goes out of its way to crush ''every single possibility'' of a happy ending for the humans.]]
* InstantAIJustAddWater: Maybe with a bit more magic than most.
* KillerRabbit: The toy dumptruck. TonkaTough indeed.
* MagicMeteor: A possible cause.
* MissingMom: The main character moved to where the movie takes place to protect his son after his wife dies. Whoops.
* NoNameGiven: Most of the characters in the book, though some versions give the narrator's name as David Murray.
* ShootTheShaggyDog: [[spoiler:After spending the whole story trying to survive and figure out a resistance strategy, it ends with the humans giving in to the trucks' demands, imagining a future dystopia where the earth is completely covered in pavement and humans exist as slaves to maintain and fuel the trucks.]]
* SlapSlapKiss: The Yeagers. The wife complains non-stop about the cheapness of their vacation up until it becomes clear they're in a horror movie, but she seems happy to jump in bed with her husband while still complaining.
* TooDumbToLive: Trucker Bob is fanatically obsessed with "getting his truck back" despite it being obvious that it doesn't want to be driven.
* [[CarFu Truck Fu]]
* [[CarMeetsHouse Truck Meets House]]: Eventually all the buildings on the main set are destroyed.