''They're always looking forward to going places they're just coming back from, or regretting doing things they haven't yet done. They say hello when they ''mean'' goodbye.''
A novel by MartinAmis, told entirely [[BackToFront in reverse chronological order]] so that the dialogue and actions by the main characters are all ''reversed'', much like watching a film play backwards (or rewinding itself).
The story follows a Nazi war criminal, a doctor who worked at Auschwitz. The tale begins at 'the moment' of his death and then throughout his entire life through his early childhood. He goes through several identity changes whilst coping with the consequences of his 'past' actions.
Some [[BlackComedy humour]] comes through from the Narrator (who is very disconnected from the physical character of the Doctor) being unable to understand that the time is running backwards and ''misinterpreting'' those events- but this novel was intended as a commentary on the reversal of human nature put into place the Nazi's policies.
!! This show provides examples of:
* EvenBadMenLoveTheirMamas: Odilo, the Nazi doctor, seems to have an Oedipus complex.
* BackToFront: The entire narrative is like this, although the narrator doesn't seem to understand that. Conversations are also told in reverse.
* FailingATaxi: Mocked when the narrator notes that taxis in New York are so efficient people stand on the street for hours saluting their services when the reverse is true.
* [MadScientist Mad Doctor]: Uncle Pepi, an Expy and Josef Mengele
* UnreliableNarrator: The narrator [[spoiler: is a 'secondary consciousness' who ''existed'' when the main character was born and rewinds through his whole life]]