Boy, we live in an incredible world. Society has created an infrastructure designed to help those that need it. Science has created all manner of convenient gadgetry, and you can always ask your elders for answers to some of the more confusing questions... That is, unless you're in a work of fiction. Then you can expect all this to be, well... useless. Here's a bunch of not-so-useless tropes about useless things, thrown together for the convenience of... someone else. For you, it's useless. Or maybe not.
* AdultsAreUseless: The adults can't or won't help the KidHero with whatever problems they're having at the moment.
* AnnoyingArrows: These arrows can't even kill a bird.
* ArmorIsUseless: Armor that can't protect from damage isn't worth the trouble.
* BystanderSyndrome: Onlookers don't step in to help someone clearly in trouble because it's not their problem.
* CellPhonesAreUseless: You can't use a cell phone to call for help when you really need to.
* CoolButInefficient: Despite seeming awesome, it can't do squat.
* TheDitz: They're too stupid to be helpful.
* FailureHero: This guy never wins.
* GunsAreWorthless: Guns are the least effective weapon to use, especially when dealing with the supernatural.
* HelmetsAreHardlyHeroic: Important characters don't need helmets.
* JokeCharacter: This guy's the worst character to use in a fighting game.
* TheLoad: This person contributes nothing to your team except being more trouble than they're worth.
* MilitariesAreUseless: The military is unhelpful when they really shouldn't be.
* TheMillstone: This guy ruins everything.
* NotSoOmniscientCouncilOfBickering: These people should be helping the heroes, but are too busy arguing amongst themselves to do so.
* PoliceAreUseless: Law enforcers can't help you or won't do their job.
** OverreactingAirportSecurity: Airport security that's too gungho to do their job competently.
* PowerupLetdown: You call this a power up?!
* QuirkyBard: This guy's abilities are all for show and not for actual help.
* ReedRichardsIsUseless: Why use your amazing powers to benefit humanity when you could waste them on meaningless things instead.
* ScienceIsUseless: When science isn't [[ScienceIsBad bad]] or [[ScienceIsWrong wrong]], it just simply isn't helpful.
* ScrappyWeapon: This weapon is not only useless but a pain to use in addition.
* ShieldsAreUseless: What good is a shield if it can't protect you?
* UselessBoyfriend: He's only a badass as long as his [[ActionGirlfriend Action]] / [[MagicalGirl Magical]] girlfriend isn't showing him up.
* UselessItem: This item could have a purpose... too bad the game designers failed to give it one.
* DarthWiki/UselessNotes: These aren't the kind of notes to use when learning about the world around you.
* UselessProtagonist: Despite being the hero of the plot, they can't do anything except sit back and let the supporting cast do all the heavylifting.
* UselessSecurityCamera: The security camera doesn't catch the criminal in the act.
* UselessSuperpowers: Superpowers aren't much help if they're limited in what they can do.
* UselessUsefulNonCombatAbilities: This skill is useful but it pales in comparison to more action based ones.
* UselessUsefulSpell: These magic abilities are never useful when they could be.
* UselessUsefulStealth: Getting around enemies with stealth is a pain rather than helpful.
* UselessWithoutPowers: This person can't do anything without their powers, sometimes including even mundane things.
* YouHaveOutlivedYourUsefulness: Killing off whoever is no longer useful to you.
** ShootTheBuilder: Now that they're done creating something for you, they must die since they've fulfilled their purpose.
* WhatKindOfLamePowerIsHeartAnyway: Superpowers are for asskicking, this power on the other hand can't do that so what good is it?
Not so useless now, is it?