A tell-tale sign that professional hockey is desperate to draw in new fans, ''The Guardian Project'' is a collaboration between (get this) the UsefulNotes/NationalHockeyLeague and Creator/StanLee. Lee has designed 30 superheroes (one for each NHL team). The Guardians were originally a [[ShowWithinAShow fictional comic book story]] imagined up by Mike Mason who somehow became real during an explosion at the Dark Laboratories. Mason became the leader of the guardians, and together they battle the evil Deven Dark.
Dark was able to trap 29 of the Guardians at the 2011 NHL All-Star Game in Raleigh, North Carolina. [[HometownHero The Hurricane]] was able to escape the trap, and Mike Mason is currently in the process of freeing the others. So far, the Hurricane, the King, the Bruin, the Capital, the Lightning, the Shark, and the Flame have been freed. It's [[MakesJustAsMuchSenseInContext exactly as weird as it sounds.]]
The backstory and the plot so far can be found [[http://www.guardianproject30.com/index.php in the website]]. A graphic novel has been released and a TV show is planned. Whether or not this will amount to anything, only time can tell.
Needs some WikiMagic.
* AnthropomorphicPersonification: The Guardians were this to the NHL teams.
* BadassNormal: The Anaheim Duck is the only Guardian with no superpowers whatsoever.
* BearsAreBadNews: The Boston Bruin, though the "worse" part is probably for the villains.
* TheBeastmaster: The Shark and the Canuck who can communicate with sharks and whales respectively.
* BigBadassBirdOfPrey: The Capital.
* CaptainErsatz: Y'know, the Panther looks an awful lot like the ComicBook/BlackPanther from Marvel Comics...
* ChestInsignia: Each hero has their respective NHL teams' logos on their chest, plus the NHL symbol on their belts.
* [[ThreateningShark Everything Is Even Worse With Sharks]]: Averted with the Shark, who was one of the good guys and can summon sharks.
* HeartIsAnAwesomePower: The Flyer, who could manipulate minds to "calm" people down. He's from the City of Brotherly Love, you know.
* LuckilyMyShieldWillProtectMe: The New York Ranger's shield, which is pretty much just the Rangers' logo.
* PlayingWithFire: The Flame.
* PoweredArmor: The Canadien wears this.
* ShoutOut: The villain in the Ranger's story made a reference to JayZ's "Empire State of The Mind"
-->'''Buzzkill''': If I can make it here, I can make it any''when''.
* SuperTeam: The Guardians are formed as this.
* WhenTreesAttack: You'll get the Toronto Maple Leaf, who is a giant tree creature that shoots out maple syrup.
* WingedHumanoid: The Flyer.