A three-part comic anthology by Gene Luen Yang (creator of ''ComicBook/AmericanBornChinese'') and Derek Kirk Kim, each of the three stories in ''The Eternal Smile'' deals with crossing the line between fantasy and reality.
In "Duncan's Kingdom", a young knight named Duncan tries to get revenge for the death of his king and win a princess's hand by slaying the evil Frog King. But Duncan is troubled by recurring dreams about a crying woman, and further troubled by a bizarre, anachronistic artifact found in the Frog King's lair: [[spoiler: an empty soda bottle.]]
"Gran'pa Greenbax and the Eternal Smile" is framed around the latest get-rich-quick scheme of cartoon amphibian Gran'pa Greenbax: inspired by a mysterious disembodied smile floating in the sky above a nearby desert, he sets up an evangelical "Church of the Eternal Smile" and tries to make a mint off donations. But his scheme falls apart with less-than-hilarious consequences, and Greenbax makes some unpleasant discoveries about his place in the world...
The third and final story, "Urgent Request", features a put-upon office worker named Janet falling for the infamous "Nigerian royalty" scam. But things take a turn for the weird when her correspondence with "Prince Henry" gives her a surprising boost of confidence... and it only gets weirder when she tracks down and confronts the scammer and demands... a date?
* AmusingInjuries: Deconstructed in "Gran'pa Greenbax", [[spoiler: Greenbax is [[MyGodWhatHaveIDone horrified]] when he ends up killing his long-suffering sidekick Filbert during a session of inflicting AmusingInjuries on him.]]
* ButtMonkey: Filbert in "Gran'pa Greenbax"
* CaptainErsatz: Gran'pa Greenbax is so obviously Scrooge [=McDuck=] it's painful.
* CreepyTwins: Gran'pa Greenbax's granddaughters become this when they get a little too into the Church of the Eternal Smile.
* DaydreamSurprise: One ''several pages long'' in "Urgent Request".
* MrAltDisney: Elias [=McFadden=]