Ten Yori Mo, Hoshi Yori Mo (''As high as the Sky and the Stars'') is a shoujo manga by MichiyoAkaishi, written in 1987 and published in Shueisha's ''Ciao'' magazine.
Mio Mizumori is an OrdinaryHighSchoolStudent, a sweet shorthaired girl who lives her life normally with her parents and her pet fish. The only abnormal things are how the water in the fish tank sometimes seems to react to her moods, and a certain dream where she meets a LongHairedPrettyBoy...
But Mio is in for a rude awakening, when her apartment suddenly blows up and is engulfed by fire. Mio survives due to a strange fact: the fish tank water enveloped her all of a sudden and shielded her from the heat and fire. Her parents and neighbors aren't as lucky, so Mio is left alone and must go to live with her maternal relatives, the Shijou family -- whose most notorious member is her handsome cousin, Tadaomi.
The problems don't finish there, though: few days later, Mio is suddenly kidnapped and while trying to escape, she finds hersef cornered under a water tank. And then someone comes to her rescue: a long-haired man who sweeps in his hang-glider and helps her out, but doesn't give her his name. Later on, Mio meets Rei Narumiya, the beautiful SchoolIdol... who looks a lot like the stranger who saved her, despite claiming not to be him. And later she finds out that the guy's name is actually Shou -- as well as more secrets about him.
What's going on? What's up with Tadaomi, Shou and Rei? Also, what about the dreams that Mio keeps having, and how water seems to react to her...?
!!Some tropes from this manga are:
* AbductionIsLove - In Tadaomi's book, anyway.
* TheAce - Rei Narumiya. Tadaomi makes himself pass as one, too.
* AdultsAreUseless: They cause more problems than they ever solve.
* AllGirlsWantBadBoys - Completely averted. In fact Tadaomi [[spoiler:might have stood a better chance in his StudentCouncilPresident persona.]]
** SingleWomanSeeksGoodMan: Mio likes Shou because he protects and helps her.
* AsleepInClass - The series starts with Mio being scolded for sleeping in class.
* BadDreams: [[spoiler: The three have dreams about their past lives.]]
* BattleCouple: Mio and [[spoiler: Shou]] sorta become this trope towards the end, [[spoiler: using their powers very much in tandem... but focusing less on fighting evil and more in protecting a whole city from being consumed by fire, an earthquake, and ultimately a ''tsunami''. They succeed, but then they go the TogetherInDeath way.]]
* BigFancyHouse - Both the Shijous and the Narumiyas own Western-styled mansions, though the Shijous have recently fallen on hard times.
** Also, the Fujiwaras. Unlike the others, theirs is a normal Japanese complex.
* BitchInSheepsClothing: Tadaomi
* [[spoiler:BittersweetEnding]] - To go into detail would spoil too much, but [[spoiler:Mio and Shou will have to wait till another life to finally be together.]]
* BreakUpDemand - Tadaomi repeatedly (and more and more menacingly) tries to get Mio to stay away from Shou.
* BridalCarry - Mio gets carried by Shou ''and'' Tadaomi more than once. [[spoiler:The series itself ends with Shou carrying a wounded Mio under tragic circumstances.]]
* ChastityCouple - Mio and Shou [[spoiler:never go beyond kissing. The closest they get is a SleepCute.]]
* ChickMagnet - [[spoiler: Shou, after he ditches the Rei diguise. Subverted in that, while he indulges the local girls's fantasies and flirts with them a little, he ''never'' cheats on Mio.]]
* CockFight - Due to Tadaomi's hax powers, [[spoiler:Shou is usually on the losing end of this.]]
* CuteClumsyGirl - Mio, by her own admission
* CynicismCatalyst - Subverted. [[spoiler: The aloof Rei claims to have had a twin brother named Shou who died when they were kids. Thing is, "she" is Shou under a disguise, and is telling such things to Mio so she won't learn the truth.]]
* [[spoiler:DeathOfTheHypotenuse]] - How the love triangle is resolved. Also happens to [[spoiler: Miyabi, who falls in love with Shou and dies saving him from a plane crash]]
** [[spoiler: Inverted by Mio. Once she is ''this'' close to stab Tadaomi to death when he's unconscious, but she can't bring herself to do so.]]
* [[spoiler:DidNotGetTheGirl]] - And vice-versa, due to the [[spoiler:BittersweetEnding]].
* DisguisedInDrag: [[spoiler: To hide how Shou Narumiya was the member of the Narumiya clan who had wind powers, when he was almost killed by the Shijous as a kid the Narumiyas made it look like their son Shou died but they adopted a girl named "Rei" to replace him. Thus "Rei" is actually Shou under a female disguise.]]
** ImportantHaircut: [[spoiler:After Shou's dad is killed, Shou decides it's useless to keep hiding himself -- so he cuts his blond hair and dyes it back to black, shredding his disguise.]]
* TheDulcineaEffect - Shou saves Mio without pausing to ask who she is and why she's being chased. She lampshades it whe when Shou appears as she's watching the stars near a tall rooftop's edge and catches her, mistakenly believing she's about to jump; she then tells him "Thought so! You ''do'' appear like this!"
* DysfunctionalFamily - Tadaomi wears the pants in his family because of his powers, and his parents are terrified of him.
** BlowYouAway: [[spoiler: Shou aka Rei.]]
** MakingASplash: Mio
** PlayingWithFire: Tadaomi
* EnfanteTerrible - Tadaomi got ''and'' mastered his powers early and attempted to kill [[spoiler: Shou]] when they were very young.
* ExtraordinarilyEmpoweredGirl - Mio has no self-defense training, but her water powers come on very handy
* FallingIntoHisArms - More like "jumping" but that's how Mio and Rei meet.
* FamilyBusiness - Both the Shijous and the Narumiyas run them.
* ForcefulKiss - Tadaomi plants one on Mio.
* GirlOfMyDreams - And vice-versa on Shou's part.
* HowDoIShotWeb - It seems to take Mio a short while to properly use her water powers. Even when she does manage to learn the basics, there are times when her emotions trigger them. i.e, once she got pretty upset at school, and the nearby water faucets starting working on their own.
* InspectorJavert - One of these appears almost at the end. [[spoiler: He a sort-of HeelRealization, but not before playing quite the role in the BittersweetEnding.]]
* JapaneseDelinquents - Mio finds out very early on that [[spoiler:Tadaomi is the head of a gang of these. In fact, the water tank incident ''was his idea'': he wanted Mio to use the tank to defend herself, and likely have a breakdown over that]].
* KillItWithFire - Tadaomi's solution to anything [[ManOnFire and anyone]] he doesn't like. It's... really not pretty. [[spoiler: As proved by how he ''burns Rei/Shou's dad alive''.]]
* KissingCousins: Tadaomi's father and Mio's dead mother were siblings, so a Tadaomi/Mio match-up would be this. Tadaomi wants it ''badly'', but Mio does not.
* LoveAtFirstSight - Mio confesses to feeling this way for Rei within a few chapters.
* LoveConfession - Mio is surprisingly bold and honest, for a shoujo manga heroine.
* LoveMakesYouEvil - Tadaomi's justification for all the horrible things he does.
* LoveTriangle - Mio, Tadaomi and Rei, though Tadaomi is very clearly not welcome.
* ManipulativeBastard - Tadaomi, who else?
* MurderTheHypotenuse - What Tadaomi tries many, many times.
* NewTransferStudent - Mio attracts a lot of attention for both being new and for being related to SchoolIdol Tadaomi. [[spoiler: Subverted by Shou, who presents himself as one first (even wearing a different uniform) but the readers already know he's not. Not to mention he doesn't fool Tadaomi or Mio.]]
* TheOjou - Miyabi Fujiwara [[spoiler: who doubles as the UnrequitedTragicMaiden]]
* OfficialCoupleOrdealSyndrome - Mio and Shou go through hell [[spoiler:in both lives, with bad endings both times.]]
** [[spoiler: ThirdTimesTheCharm: Since Tadaomi gives up right before dying as well, they might have more luck in theird thir reincarnation.]]
* OrdinaryHighSchoolStudent - How the characters start out, but definitely not how they end.
* OverprotectiveDad - Rei's father tries (and usually fails) to stop him from doing anything too reckless.
* ParentalAbandonment - The story ''starts'' with Mio being orphaned.
* PastLifeMemories - [[spoiler:Mio and Shou/Rei only remember things vaguely till the end, but Tadaomi has a much better memory (or so he claims).]]
* [[spoiler:RedemptionEqualsDeath: Tadaomi, in the DistantFinale, ''finally'' aknowledges that he can't get in between anymore.]]
* [[spoiler:ReincarnationRomance: The LoveTriangle actually is a repeat of another one that happened centuries ago. Tadaomi was a high-class nobleman (hinted to be Oda Nobunaga), Shou/Rei was a samurai (hinted to be Minamoto no Yoshitsune), and Mio was a princess: former!Shou and former!Mio fell in love and tried to run away, former!Tadaomi tried to chase after them, and it got worse.]]
* RelationshipSabotage - Tadaomi tries every method possible to make this happen. Also tried by [[spoiler:Miyabi Fujiwara, a rich and naive young girl who falls in love with Shou, and whom Tadaomi manipulates so she can both get Shou away ''and'' deliver Mio to him.]]
* ReplacementSibling - After the Narumiyas lost their [[spoiler:son Shou in a fire,]] they adopted [[spoiler:a girl named Rei to take his place. This is actually a front, and Rei is just Shou in disguise to protect him.]]
* SchoolIdol - Both Rei and Tadaomi, in different ways.
* ShouldntWeBeInSchoolRightNow - Mio and Shou/[[spoiler: Rei]] consciously avoid going to school once it gets too dangerous wtih Tadaomi there.
* SingleTargetSexuality - Tadaomi is Miosexual.
* SmittenTeenageGirl - Mio doesn't even attempt to hide her crush on Rei.
* SnowMeansLove - Mio and Rei have a moment where they hug and then snow suddenly begins to fall around them.
* StarCrossedLovers: Will Mio and [[spoiler:Rei/Shou]] ever get together? [[spoiler: The easiest reply: Not this time. The next one, yes.]]
* StudentCouncilPresident - Tadaomi's position in school, although all the main characters stop going to school once things get, aha, heated up.
* [[spoiler: TakingTheBullet: The first and last act of kindness Tadaomi performs ''in the whole plot'' (save for the DistantFinale) is this.]]
* [[spoiler: TogetherInDeath: Mio and Shou.]]
* TookALevelInBadass: While Mio doesn't reach proper ActionGirl status, her control over her powers ''does'' noticeably grow. In the third volume, among other things she [[spoiler: puts down a whole building that's on fire via first telekinetically controlling the firemen's water hoses, then summoning enough rain to finish the job.]] In the seventh volume, [[spoiler: when the car she and Miyabi's father are in plummets into the ocean, she manages to create a protective bubble to pull the car out of the ocean, saving Mr. Fujiwara and herself.]] And [[spoiler: in the eighth (and last) volume she repeats the rain trick on a burning shrine ''and'' raises the nearby water to protect the people, before she and Shou die protecting everyone else.]]
** To put it on perspective: Tadaomi is ultra powerful because he's been training in his pyrokinetic abilities for years, [[spoiler: Shou]] controls [[spoiler: his]] wind "magic" fairly well too though we're not sure of how long [[spoiler: he]]'s been working on them... but after Mio finds out that she has water powers, she manages to control the basics ''in few days and with next-to-none proper training''.
* TransferStudentUniforms - Averted, since everything Mio owned was lost in the fire that killed her family.
* UnrequitedLoveLastsForever - [[spoiler:averted in the end, as Tadaomi appears to have finally given up.]]
* UnrequitedTragicMaiden - [[spoiler:Miyabi Fujiwara, a rich girl who falls in love with Shou and is killed in a plane crash caused by Tadaomi to kill Shou. (Who survives, but barely.)]]
* WillTheyOrWontThey - Averted. The OfficialCouple admit their mutual love very early on.
* VillainousCrush - Tadaomi, to Mio.
* YouKilledMyFather: [[spoiler: Shou, to Tadaomi.]]