Often a character can be mutilated. However this will often represent something about them. They might not see what is happening until they are [[EyeScream blinded]]. Similar to BlindSeer, who are sometimes the result of this.
* This is extremely prevalent in ''Manga/FullmetalAlchemist'', where JerkassGod's law of EquivalentExchange dictates that the price of victory is enduring SymbolicMutilation as a form of IronicHell- the HandicappedBadass main character Edward lost the arm that allowed him to perform alchemy and the leg on which he stood, damaging his pride by forcing him to depend on others. Similarly, his brother, who attempted to resurrect their mother in order to feel the warmth of her presence again, lost his entire physical being, now unable to feel anything at all. Their teacher, in mourning for [[spoiler: her dead child, loses her reproductive organs]]; the action guy [[spoiler: Havoc]] manages to [[spoiler: get paralyzed]]; the WideEyedIdealist [[spoiler: Mustang gets blinded]]; the IncorruptiblePurePureness [[spoiler: Nina]] gets [[spoiler: gruesomely fused with ''her dog'' and then murdered]]; the silver-tongued [[spoiler: Kimblee gets his throat torn out]]; the desperate-to-help [[spoiler: Lan Fan loses her arm]]; the list goes on from there.
* The Pirate Captain from DoctorWho serial The Pirate Planet. His body is largely robotic and he is gaining material wealth ruthlessly, replacing his humanity with materials.
* Gloucester in Theatre/KingLear. There are numerous references to eyes and him in the text. He can't see the truth about his sons [[CainAndAbel Edgar and Edmund]], due to [[BastardBastard Edmund]] though he is quite gullible. Eventually he gets his eyes torn out.
[[folder:Religion and Mythology]]
* Samson being blinded in TheBible could be thought of as this. He gave away his secret of strength to Delilah, despite the fact she had already tried the fake methods of taking his strength [[HeroBall he told her]]. His hair being cut off could also be symbolic as it was a mark of his connection to God and therefore his strength. He is captured and blinded but at least DeathEqualsRedemption.
* In Ancient civilizations they used these punishments. You steal or hit your father and get your hand chopped of, kiss a married woman and you lose your lips. Basically the Eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth punishment.