A Welsh-language [[SoapOpera opera sebon]] produced and broadcast by TheBBC, ''Pobol y Cwm'' ("People of the Valley") takes place in the fictional village of Cwmderi, in southwest Wales.
Most episodes center on the small businesses and houses surrounding the village pub, Y Deri, and local farm Penrhewl. In addition to the native characters, the show also features incomers from across Wales, with various accents and abilities in Welsh, and even the occasional ''sais'' wandering in from England and looking around in terror.
''Pobol y Cwm'' began broadcasting in October 1974, making it the [[LongRunners longest-running]] SoapOpera produced by TheBBC. It is also broadcast to British armed forces members serving overseas through [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Forces_Broadcasting_Service BFBS TV]].
You can watch it with subtitles through [[http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search?q=Pobol%20y%20Cwm BBC iPlayer]]
and check out the online extras [[http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/pobolycwm/ here (English website)]], ac [[http://www.bbc.co.uk/cymru/pobolycwm/ yma (y wefan Cymraeg)]].
!! This show provides examples of:
* AdultFear: One child's regular babysitter slaps him, and steals money and alcohol from the house. She coldly blackmails the boy into not telling his parents until he develops night terrors and bed wetting.
* BritishAccents: There is a distinct difference between North and South in Wales, which characters love to point out.
* ChannelHop: In 1994 from [=BBC2=] to [=S4C=], where it remains the channel's most watched show.
* DrugsAreBad: Nationwide money laundering schemes are nothing compared to one accidental tablet of ecstasy.
* GoodGirlsAvoidAbortion: Played straight and averted. Gaynor makes the right choice for herself, but errs when she lies to her partner about the pregnancy and abortion, and tries to manipulate others. Teenager Lois wants to keep her baby, and the changes it will mean for her relationships and education are discussed. The show spells out clearly that advice should come from medical professionals ([[http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/pobolycwm/sites/theseries/cymorth.shtml contact information is provided on the website]]) and not internet blogs.
* GoldDigger: Sioned.
* HideYourLesbians: Averted. Three members of the leading cast are out and the show featured a marriage storyline, same-sex civil unions being legal in the UK.
* LawOfInverseFertility: Of course, it is a SoapOpera after all.
* LipstickLesbian: Yvonne and Gwyneth.
* StigmaticPregnancyEuphemism: Lois' mother, the village headmistress, keeps her out of school with "gladular fever" when she gets pregnant. Once classes end for the year, she's too busy "revising for her exams" to see friends.
* StraightGay: Scott and Alun, both in the closet.
* VillainsOutShopping: Garry Monk is a thug and a criminal, but he's also a loving father.