[[caption-width:270:Ebrellin-i and Lyric]]
The ''[[http://peacock-king.infernalshenanigans.com/ Peacock King]]'' is an ongoing project done by a two-woman studio named Infernal Shenanigans, who both do writing and art for the project. Currently, it consists of the completed first trilogy (Book One ''A Token-Box With Which to Buy a Soul'', Book Two ''The Buzzards That Circle The Throne'', and Book Three ''The Souls That Pass Through the Void''), the first book of the sequel White Thaumist trilogy, ''Awakening at Midnight''; as well as several miniseries and shorts.
The series is on hiatus while Book One is undergoing editing, the Book One print edition is currently running as a ''[[https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/620630809/the-peacock-king-magic-words-and-talking-guns/ Kickstarter]]''.
''The enigmatic Peacock King, ruler of half of the known world, seeks to possess the land itself by enslaving the spirits of the wild. Gerald, a newly initiated Poet whose magic is as real as he can write it, is also one of the Armed -- enforcers of the Law who wield guns with souls. His mission: infiltrate the Peacock King's Court and gather intelligence. Unfortunately for Gerald, things quickly go awry...
Can he outwit the Peacock King? Will he be able to save his long-lost brother, who is the King's new spirit-tamer?''
In short, it is a story about stupid spies getting caught, magic sword kings, traps, men in makeup, talking guns, brawls where people get bitten, ecological activism, hardcore diary writing, world war, caffeinated politics, chess games over custody, dramatic courtroom fingerpointing, [[TheLastOfTheseIsNotLikeTheOthers and tea]].
'''This series provides examples of:'''
* BeastMan - Faun, [[FisherKing who reflects the animals of his land.]]
* BreakTheCutie - Faun's mother.
* CainAndAbel - Ebrelle and Alestere/Elete, partly subverted.
* DarkAndTroubledPast for a lot of characters, StartOfDarkness for Ebrelle.
* EmpathicWeapon - [[DepartmentOfRedundancyDepartment The Armed's Arms.]]
* FacialMarkings - It's a fad in the Peacock King's court, what with Ebrellin-i being the king and people following the leader...
* ICallItVera - subverted, since the Arms ''have'' names and ''can'' speak to their bearers.
* IncestIsRelative - special bloodlines make it possible.
* ItRunsInTheFamily - the Akribastes are ''weird''.
* LiteraryWorkOfMagic - the Poets can write things into existence
* LoadsAndLoadsOfCharacters - It's hard to keep track, what with people switching names and that whole [[spoiler: Ales thing.]]
* LockedIntoStrangeness - [[spoiler: The trauma of being forcefully cleaned of Nul by Diyn turned Ebrellin-i's hair completely white.]]
* MindControl - Ebrellin-i uses this in spades.
* NoPronunciationGuide - Most names are hard to pronounce, lampshaded with Camdheighn and Elricht Dealag'seala, who are promptly renamed Camden and Elric Briarseal.
* PeacockGirl - Rocsui'ehellenae
* PimpedOutDress - Ebrellin-i. Who is described as a character that looks like a 'parade float' when he isn't naked.
* PleaseSpareHimMyLiege - Lyric covering his brother's ass.
* ProngsOfPoseidon - The Judge.
* PunctuationShaker - A good chunk of the cast's whole names, because [[JustifiedTrope they happen to also list things like genealogy and citizenry]].
* StandardRoyalCourt - With not-so-standard drama and crazy.
* TheDandy - Ebrellin-i.
* TheGunslinger - Gerald.
* TalkingWeapon - The Armed's Arms.
* WakeupMakeup - Averted. The writers seemed to have fun writing the descriptions.
* WarriorPoet - Gerald, in a sense, since he is both an Armed and a Poet.
* WeaponOfChoice - The Armed's Arms again.
* WhateverHappenedToTheMouse- Hespirides
* WhipSword - Camden.
* WholesomeCrossdresser - Lyric, though not intentionally. He just likes looking good, which includes the use of make-up.
** He also actually crossdresses by "borrowing" his older half-sister's skirt early in the second book. It's implied he looks good in it.