--> In 6 days, every living cell on Earth will be dead.
--> You have one chance.
[[http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/555181 One Chance]] is another in a long line of Apocalyptic Countdown [[AdobeFlash Flash]] games that are all the rage these days. Your team finds a cure for cancer that happens to be a [[WhatCouldPossiblyGoWrong pathogen that travels through air]]. It uses a [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_(second_generation) Second Generation]] style graphics scheme and the gameplay consists of walking forward and making a few simple choices.
To crib the author's notes:
"One Chance is a game about choices and dealing with them."
"Scientist John Pilgrim and his team have accidentally created a pathogen that is killing all living cells on Earth."
"In the last 6 remaining in-game days on Earth, the player must make choices about how to spend his last moments. Will he spend time with his family, work on a cure or go nuts?"
"You only have ONE CHANCE to save the world. One. Uno. 1. And you bastards will have to pry this game out of my cold dead hands before I put a replay feature in."
!!This game provides examples of:
* ApocalypseHow: Planetary total extinction.
* BeardOfSorrow: While John had a beard before the effects of the pathogen occured, it's evolved into one of these by the end.
* BettyAndVeronica: There's your wife, and a co-worker that keeps trying to skip work with you.
* ChildrenAreInnocent: Molly the whole game. Her asking of "Where's mummy, daddy?" after [[spoiler:Penny's suicide]] is heartbreaking.
* ChekhovsGun: The [[spoiler:bathroom]] seems purely decorative and uninteresting all up until [[spoiler: YOUR WIFE COMMITS SUICIDE IN IT. ]]
* DownerEnding: As with all multiple-ending games, there is always one bad ending.[[spoiler: No matter which choices you make, every ending is a downer in one way or another.]]
** [[spoiler:Even if you work every day and cure it, unless they find some animals and other plants around to cure, John and his daughter are going to die of starvation, because ''every living thing is dying''.]]
*** Other life recovering is irrelevant; you don't actually need to eat living things to derive nutrition from them. Whether the pathogen actually leaves the things it kills in an edible state is anyone's guess, though -- the graphics are too simple for it to be obvious one way or another.
*** [[spoiler: Not to mention that if you refresh the game after achieving that ending and press 'play' again, you can see that the park is green and fresh again, indicating that things that didn't finish dying, plants mostly probably, are healing and can come back to provide continual sustenance. ]]
* DrivenToSuicide: Several people, mostly your coworkers. [[spoiler: And your wife, if someone else doesn't kill her first.]]
* ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin: Barring some convoluted hacking, the game keeps track of your progress and only lets you play through ''one time'': as in, no replays or restarts permitted.
* [[spoiler: FailureIsTheOnlyOption]]
* GoldenEnding: [[spoiler:Or, as close as you can get in a game like this anyway. If John works every day, he and his daughter survive.]]
** [[spoiler: At least for the immediate future. If you try to start the game again after this, you see the park where the game ended restored to life... but no sign of them, leaving it ambiguous whether or not they starved before life could recover.]] On the other hand, they can't spend all of their time in the park... also, see above note on the DownerEnding entry.
* LostForever: The last sentence of the author's description is not kidding around. While it's obviously ''possible'' to get around this, the save file does everything in its power to make it hard. [[spoiler:The easiest way to circumvent it is to disallow the save file from existing in the first place; open the Flash settings with right-click, and set Local Storage in the Permissions window to 0kb.]]
* NoCelebritiesWereHarmed: BarackObama makes a handful of appearances.
* ThePollyanna: Molly. Despite the terrible circumstances, she never appears terribly distraught by what's going on. Though it's implied that she doesn't really understand what's happening either, due to her youth.
* RoaringRampageOfRevenge: [[spoiler:Spend time with your family rather than trying to find a cure, and one of your co-workers, furious that you aren't trying to fix what you caused, murders your family and commits suicide.]]
* SleepCute: [[spoiler:The context definitely ''isn't'' cute, however.]]
* SoleSurvivingScientist: The game is all about this - you play a scientist trying to fix an accidentally lethal cure for cancer as it slowly infects everyone in the '''world'''.
* YouFailBiologyForever: A cure for cancer that is also apparently a virus that kills approximately everything ever? Okay, maybe. It's deployed by the government before they figure out if it's safe? Uh huh. It somehow replaces the entirety of Earth's atmosphere inside six days? [[SarcasmMode Yeah, seems legit.]]
** As one comment on a Website/YouTube video put it, "VIRUSES AND VACCINES DO NOT WORK THAT WAY."
* YourCheatingHeart: You're given the option to have an affair with a coworker. [[spoiler: Your wife will also die that same day, although she'll remain ignorant to the affair.]]
* YourDaysAreNumbered: The premise, though you can choose to try to fix it.
* WhamEpisode: The first episode starts out on a pretty grim note, but it gets worse when [[spoiler: one of your coworkers commits suicide by jumping off the building.]]
* [[spoiler:WhamLine]]: [[spoiler:Today, every living cell on Earth will be dead. You had one chance.]]