'''Noughts & Crosses''' series is set in a world where [[PersecutionFlip the people with dark skin (Crosses) are dominant over the white people (noughts)]], written by Malorie Blackman. The title is a reference to the game Noughts and Crosses [[SeparatedByACommonLanguage (tic-tac-toe)]].
!! This series provides examples of:
* AlphaBitch: Bliss, one of Callie Rose's classmates. To the point where she calls Callie's hair "Blanker hair."
** Averted with Cara Imega, who cares for Jude regardless of race until she is [[spoiler: killed off by Jude.]]
* AlternateHistory: The reason why there is so much prejudice against noughts is because they were enslaved by people from Africa, rather than the other way round.
* BetaCouple: Cara Imega/Jude, and [[spoiler: Tobey and Callie Rose.]]
* ButNotTooWhite: Which is the in-universe equivalent of ButNotTooBlack.
* ChildrenAreInnocent: Played completely straight in [[spoiler: young]] Callum, Sephy, Callie.
** Brutally averted by the younger peers in Callie's school.
* CrapsackWorld: If you're a nought. Also, Britain is a rare example of dystopia/CrapsackWorld in that society functions ''well''.
* CrowningMomentOfHeartWarming: At the end of noughts And Crosses, [[spoiler: Sephy and Callum confessing to each other that they love each other as he is hanged.]]
** The eventual reconciliation between [[spoiler: Sephy and Callie at the end of Checkmate]] is truly beautiful.
* DoesThisRemindYouOfAnything: And how. Much of the attitude against noughts mirrors prejudice against Black people during segregation in America, and to a lesser extent attitudes towards black people in Britain until the 1960's. The Liberation Milita are realistic WellIntentionedExtremist, and Kamal Hadley's political policy of "sending white people back where the came from," resembles some peoples ideas about immigration in (modern) Britain. There is even a reference to a KKK-esque band of Crosses who tied a nought to the back of a car and dragged him till he died for being in a ''Cross only'' area.
* DownerEnding: Depends on which book you read. [[spoiler: The only reason the trope averts itself is because the Main/AndTheAdventureContinues.]]
* DudeShesLikeInAComa: [[spoiler:Tobey to Callie Rose.]]
* DrowningMySorrows: Jasmine from the start, then Sephy as a teenager.
* [[EthnicMenialLabour White Menial Labour]]: Meggie is a housemaid, Sarah is a cleaner, Tobey works in a shop for a while, Callum in a garage...
* [[FantasticRacism Not So Fantastic Racism]]
* FantasticSlur: Nought, Cross (although those are politically correct, "nought," means to be nothing, not worthwhile,) Blanker, Dagger, Halfer. The list goes on.
* [[spoiler: Earn your happy ending]]: Toby's struggle throughout his entire Main/ADayInTheLimelight book is for this cause. The entire series is this because it is the [[spoiler: final book]]
* GenerationXerox: Sephy names Callie Rose after her father.
* LaResistance: The Liberation Militia
* MamaBear: Meggie. Mcgregor. And Jasmine Hadley.
* MeaningfulName: Persephone (Sephy) Hadley.
* TheOphelia: Lynette, in a creepy, realistic way. "But I'm a Cross. Look at my skin, so dark and rich..."
* PapaWolf: Ryan Mcgregor to his children.
* PresidentEvil: Kamal Hadley was planning on being Prime Minster, but he didn't succed.
* RebelliousPrincess: Sephy. (A modern version as politicians daughter).
* SaveTheVillain: [[spoiler: Sephy to Jude, so she can help his mother, Meggie.]]
* SleazyPolitician : Kamal
* StarCrossedLovers: Sephy and Callum.
* TokenWhite: It is mentioned by Meggie that in all T.V shows there will only be ONE nought if any.
* UnfortunateImplications: Invoked In-universe.
* [[WhereDaWhiteWomenAt Where Da nought Women At]]: Lynette and her mentioned boyfriend, Jed. [[spoiler: They are almost killed because of it, sending her over the edge.]]
* WoobieDestroyerOfWorlds:[[spoiler: JUDE.]]