Someone gets inside an elevator, expecting to be the only person there. Then suddenly, dozens of people cram themselves into the tiny car, which may or may not exceed the "maximum capacity" sign displayed on the elevator. [[TropeTelegraphing You know where this is going by now.]]
It doesn't even have to be suddenly crammed for this trope to apply. It could even involve the elevator slowly filling up with passengers until it reaches its breaking point, or [[TheLastStraw one extra passenger getting in a totally packed car]]. Either way, it's no good.
In the worst case scenario, it leads to ElevatorFailure. At best, it's just an UncomfortableElevatorMoment of a different sort.
[[folder: Anime and Manga ]]
* In one episode of ''Manga/DetectiveConan'', the elevator gets stuck when a group of characters get in. Later, Conan gets an EurekaMoment when he remembers that he is now a kid, and thus too light for the elevator to go over capacity. [[spoiler:There is a dead body on the roof of the elevator.]]
* Used dramatically in ''Manga/BigO'' as a reminder that Dorothy is a ~300 lb android, not a petite 90 lb girl.
* In the library arc of ''Manga/MahouSenseiNegima'', the girls and Negi are running from what they think is a killer golem and find an elevator, only to find that their combined weight is above the capacity limit. This being a fanservice-heavy series, the girls start stripping to reduce weight.
[[folder: Live-Action TV ]]
* Near the end of an episode of ''Series/TheFreshPrinceOfBelAir'', Will is on an elevator when dozens more people get on. He looks at the maximum capacity sign, and then begins to scream.
* On ''Series/GimmeABreak'', Nell and several members of her overweight support group do this. The founder of the group was in his top-floor apartment contemplating suicide and the others wanted to stop him. The weight causes the elevator to get stuck, the people inside argue for a while, then try going down in the elevator, which works. Nell gets off at the lobby but the elevator then closes and goes back up, now no longer over capacity, forcing Nell to have to take the stairs.
* An episode of ''Series/NightCourt'' had the elevator fail with only four people on board: Dan, Roz, ... and two sumo wrestlers.
[[folder: Newspaper Comics ]]
* In ''ComicStrip/TheFarSide'', we see a man on an elevator with several elephants, and he watches in horror as one more tries to get in. The max. capacity is shown as several thousand pounds.
* This was deliberately done in one ''ComicStrip/SpyVsSpy'' comic, with White tricking Black into carrying several 1000-pound weights on an elevator (he thinks they are White's secret plans).