[[caption-width-right:212:"Long Before Dawn" Cover]]
A 2009 vampire novel by James V. Viscosi.
After demolishing a group of vampire hunters, Martel the vampire sets his sights on an attractive woman he sees pumping gas and follows her from Pennsylvania back to upstate New York, where he amuses himself by stalking her. He makes it pretty obvious that he plans to eventually turn her into a vampire, which doesn't sit well with his current vampiric paramour. But what can SHE do about it?
!! Tropes present in this work
* AnyoneCanDie: And boy, do they ever.
* ArmorPiercingQuestion: [[spoiler: Roxanne]] to Martel, toward the end
* BeautyEqualsGoodness: Inverted with Lauren. Played straight with Roxanne.
* BigBad: Martel, then, ultimately, [[spoiler: Lauren]]
* BittersweetEnding [[spoiler: Roxanne]] lives; [[spoiler: Barry]] dies. [[spoiler: Ken]] is reunited with [[spoiler: Lauren]] moments before [[spoiler: blowing her up with a suicide vest]].
* BlondesAreEvil: Lauren
* CollapsingLair: Right at the beginning, the vampire hunters burn down a coffin factory where Martel has been hiding out. Later, [[spoiler: Ken blows up the factory where Lauren and her vampires have been living.]]
* CrazyJealousGuy: Christian Keems
* EvenEvilHasStandards: Well, Martel does, anyway.
** TheHero: Barry Brennan. Could also have been [[TheBigGuy The Big Guy]] if the actual [[TheBigGuy Big Guy]] weren't even bigger.
** TheLancer: Jack Davidson, [[HeelFaceTurn once he finally realizes he is dealing with vampires and not terrorists]]
** TheSmartGuy: Ken Fletcher. Though if he's so smart, why did he get his entire team of vampire hunters killed?
** TheBigGuy: [[spoiler:Krone]]
** TheChick: Roxanne Carmichael
** TagalongKid: Jeff Tracey
** [[SixthRanger Sixth Ranger]]: Monica Klein
* IHaveYouNowMyPretty: Done to Roxanne by Martel and Lauren on separate occasions.
* InfantImmortality: Inverted. Lauren seems to like killing babies and children, and one of the first things [[spoiler: Christian]] does after getting turned into a vampire is [[spoiler: microwave Roxanne's puppy]].
* RasputinianDeath: [[spoiler: Christian]] gets shot in the face, has his bowels blown out with a shotgun, gets burned by the sun, and [[spoiler: has his genitals bitten off]], before finally exploding due to [[WeakenedByTheLight overexposure to sunlight]].
* OurVampiresAreDifferent: Because they sleep in cocoons made out of blood and [[spoiler: only react to holy symbols from their former religion]]. Otherwise they're pretty much standard regular vampires.
* TheDogBitesBack: [[spoiler: Krone]]
* TheDragon: Krone
* TheStarscream: [[spoiler: Lauren]]
* TheVamp: Lauren. Literally and figuratively.
* UnderestimatingBadassery: Martel doesn't take [[spoiler: Lauren]] seriously as a threat until much too late.
* VampireHunter: In spades
* ViralTransformation: Martel generally arranges it so his victims don't come back as vampires; [[spoiler: Lauren wants to raise a vampire army]].