[[caption-width-right:315:"Da Kini" in his youth.]]
Ludwig the Second, born Ludwig Otto Friedrich Wilhelm von Wittelsbach was king of [[TheSixteenLandsOfDeutschland Bavaria]] from 1863 to 1885, and the last king to rule it as an independent state. He was famously eccentric and built many of the most beautiful castles in Bavaria, the most famous of which is [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuschwanstein_Castle Neuschwanstein]]. He enjoyed myths and legends and [[Creator/RichardWagner Wagnerian opera]], which earned him the nickname "Märchenkönig" ("fairy-tale king"). However, the king's well-known eccentricity also brought him the less flattering nicknames "the crazy king" or "Mad King Ludwig".
It was largely Ludwig's patronage that allowed Creator/RichardWagner to create his famous operas detached from financial concerns.
!! Works that feature Ludwig II of Bavaria:
[[folder: Film ]]
* ''Ludwig II'' (1922)
* ''Ludwig'' by Luschino Visconti (1972)
* ''Ludwig - Requiem for a Virgin King'', another 1972 film
* ''Ludwig 1881'' (1993)
* ''Ludwig der Zweite, König von Bayern'' (1993)
* ''Ludwig II: Glanz und Ende eines Königs'' ("Splendor and End of a King") (1995)
[[folder: Literature ]]
* ''My Letters from Ludwig: A Novel about King Ludwig II of Bavaria''
[[folder: Manga ]]
* ''Ludwig II'' by You Higuri.
[[folder: Musical ]]
* ''Ludwig II''
* ''Ludwig2: The New Musical''
[[folder: Video Games ]]
* ''[[VideoGame/GabrielKnight The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery]]''