-->"Any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly dressed."
"Fighting" (Alternatively "Mad") Jack Churchill (1906-1996) was an officer in the British military during WorldWarII renowned for his zeal, bravery, and [[CrazyAwesome surprisingly effective eccentricity in combat]]. He has gained a reputation as one of the most BadAss characters in the war, and lamented that it [[BloodKnight ended too early for his tastes]]. After the war he served until 1959, first in Palestine, and then training troops in Australia until 1959, during which time he became an avid surfer.
Possibly the one thing that sets him apart from the other soldiers is that he was able to use SWORDS AND BOWS in World War 2, and was confirmed to have killed enemies with these ancient weapons. Jack also escaped from Nazi war prisons multiple times!
More details on his life can be found on [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill the Other Wiki]].
He was of no relation to [[WinstonChurchill the other Churchill]], though [[NamesTheSame the PM's brother was also named Jack Churchill, funnily enough]]. And one of his forefathers was named John as well. Yes, ''that'' John Churchill...
!!Tropes embodied by Jack Churchill
* BowAndSwordInAccord: Despite fighting in the mid-20th century, he armed himself with a longbow and claymore (the basket-hilted dueling sword, not the 6-foot longsword). Which is another reason for the "Mad" title.
* BunnyEarsLawyer: Read the above, while keeping in mind that he was a highly decorated officer who lead several successful operations throughout the war.
* BloodKnight: Jack was nicknamed by his commandos "Fighting Jack" because he was so enthusiastic about combat. Even among fellow soldiers his love of fighting was considered extreme.
--> Jack (upon discovering Japan had surrendered): "If it wasn't for those damn Yanks, we could have kept the war going another 10 years!"
* BadAss / TheDeterminator - Fought until 1944, when he was captured as the last surviving member of his troop. Was sent to [[HellholePrison Sachsenhausen concentration camp]] but promptly escaped [[labelnote:*]]Let that sink in. He was confined to a ''concentration camp'', one of the outposts of the Holocaust, and escaped. This man had ''cojones'' of solid diamond.[[/labelnote]] and walked about 200 kilometres north before being recaptured and sent to southern Austria. After the guards in the second prison camp abandoned their posts, he walked another 150 kilometres to Italy before finally meeting some Allied troops and getting medical treatment.
* ColonelBadass: A lieutenant colonel, to be specific.
* CrazyAwesome: Again, he carried a ''sword'' and ''longbow'' into battle during WorldWarII.
* EverythingsLouderWithBagpipes: He often rallied his troops with highland pipes. Also, when all his troops had died, he knew he would be captured, so he sat down and played Bonnie Charlie while he waited for the Germans to get there.
* OfficerAndAGentleman: The main reason for his unorthodox choice of weaponry.
--> "Any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly dressed."
* SurferDude: Amusingly, after the War he became passionate about surfing. He really was an odd man.
* ScrewThisImOuttaHere: his reaction when he got captured and sent to a PoW camp, he just walked home again.