This is about characters who are difficult to approach socially on the outside, but nice on the inside.
Sometimes this is because [[RousseauWasRight there is some goodness in everyone]]. At other times, they were only hiding that they were GoodAllAlong.
* AffablyEvil: A bad guy who happens to be a really nice person once you get to know him/her.
* AloofAlly: S/he may be aloof around their teammates, but is very reliable at the end of the day.
* AngerBornOfWorry: Angry with others' foolhardiness, but is very glad they're safe and sound.
* AntiAntiChrist: A character who is destined to end the world but does not want to.
* AntiHero: Not a [[IdealHero clear cut hero]], but is always proves to be morally better than the villains.
* AntiVillain: A bad guy with noble qualities and traits, and possibly even heroic goals.
* AscendedDemon: A demon who turns good and achieves a holy status.
* TheAtoner: A formerly-evil character trying to make up for his wrongdoings.
* BruiserWithASoftCenter: Even tough badass characters have a gentle side.
* ChaoticGood: Not the most law-abiding person around, but not a bad person either.
* ChivalrousPervert: He shamelessly flirt with the ladies, but he'd be the [[KnightInShiningArmor first to defend their honor]].
* CompassionateCritic: She criticizes other characters, but it's because she wants to bring out their best effort.
* CrazyCatLady: A FriendToAllLivingThings who is NotGoodWithPeople.
* DarkIsNotEvil: Has a menacing appearance but is actually much more pleasant.
* DefrostingIceQueen: Given time and affection, her uncaring facade will melt to reveal her softer side.
* DontYouDarePityMe: Desperately needs your help but won't give up enough pride, independence, or self-control to accept it.
* FaceOfAThug: Good guy who looks like a hardened criminal.
* FoolForLove: Tough, and possibly cynical, but still a sucker for love.
* ForgivenButNotForgotten: Won't forget your crimes, but also won't hold them against you.
* TheFriendNobodyLikes: They don't like him/her for certain reasons, but they would never exclude them from their friendship.
* GentleGiant: Everything's big about her -- especially her heart.
* GoodBadGirl: Notorious sexual reputation; benevolent, zestful interior.
* GoodIsNotNice: Rude in person, but still does good things.
* HiddenHeartOfGold: To keep their badass reputation, they don't want others to know of their good (but less badass) deeds.
* HitmanWithAHeart: A career killer, but not an indiscriminate murderer.
* HookerWithAHeartOfGold: A sweet, innocent flower under the sexy persona.
* InnocentBigot: Prejudiced, but only because he genuinely doesn't know any better.
* InnocentlyInsensitive: Good person doesn't realize that she's a jerk.
* JerkassFacade: A character tries to act like a heartless bastard when it's obvious s/he isn't.
* JerkWithAHeartOfGold: Cranky or rough exterior shows a kind, helpful side.
* KnightInSourArmor: A cynical character who stands up for the Good and Right even though not entirely convinced those things exist.
* KindheartedSimpleton: A character who may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but their kindness outweighs it.
* LoonWithAHeartOfGold: A character who is kindhearted but [[CloudCuckoolander quirky]] or even insane (often with the implied correlation between the two).
* LovableAlphaBitch: You know that one mean, popular, rich girl in every high school? She's not as nasty as she pretends to be.
* LovingBully: She bullies someone because she secretly likes them.
* MisunderstoodLonerWithAHeartOfGold: This character's sinister reputation is entirely undeserved.
* MrViceGuy: Has bad habits, but never lets it interfere with their heart of gold.
* NobleBigot: Prejudiced, yet still a good person.
* NobleBigotWithABadge: This goes double when you're in a position of law enforcement.
* NobleDemon: Kindly AntiVillain who cultivates a fearsome reputation.
* NotAlwaysEvil: That AlwaysChaoticEvil race right there? Not always so.
* PragmaticHero: They ''are'' frighteningly prone to extreme methods. Unless you are in the way of the greater good, and if it contributes to it, they will certainly help you.
* TheQuietOne: Just because he doesn't say much doesn't mean he doesn't have anything nice to say.
* ReformedButNotTamed: Now genuinely on the side of good but retaining characteristics or methods that he used when he was evil.
* TheSacredDarkness: Darkness which is explicitly not a metaphor for evil.
* SarcasticDevotee: He may mock and show disdain towards his teammates, but he is loyal to a fault.
* SergeantRock: Harsh on his subordinates and not particularly likable, but all of his men respect him.
* ShrinkingViolet: She wasn't ignoring you, she's just shy.
* TheSnarkKnight: A DeadpanSnarker who believes firmly and unironically in a high moral code.
* SourOutsideSadInside: A person who uses their abrasive nature to hide secret feelings of depression.
* SourSupporter: A pessimistic member of the group, but never abandons their friends.
* SternTeacher: Strict and no-nonsense, but cares more deeply than his/her students could expect.
* SuffersNewbiesPoorly: Not really receptive towards new users, but does warm up to them once they get to know them.
* SugarAndIcePersonality: A frosty, emotionless coating protects delicate feelings within.
* TokenGoodTeammate: S/he may be working for the bad guys, but s/he's actually a good person compared to his/her peers.
* TokenHeroicOrc: He may come from an AlwaysChaoticEvil background, but he doesn't let it influence his choice to be good.
* ToughLove: Acts harsh and antagonistic towards others, but does this to make them better.
** Type A: An angry person who is waiting for a special someone to trigger his or her nice side.
** Type B (in many cases): A nice person normally, but gets hot-tempered when dealing with a certain someone.
** Variant 1: Belittles and antagonizes their friend, but cares for them.
** Variant 2: Two friends belittle and antagonize each other but cares for one another.
* TheWonka: An eccentric authority figure; good at heart but hard to read because of his odd behavior.