''In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale'' is a 2006 fantasy film directed by Uwe Boll, inspired by the ''VideoGame/DungeonSiege'' video game series. It was produced by Brightlight Pictures and distributed by Freestyle Releasing and Vivendi Entertainment in the United States and Canada. 20th Century Fox took distribution overseas. It premiered at the American Film Market on November 3, 2006. It was released in Germany on November 29, 2007 and was released in the United States on January 11, 2008.
Set in the kingdom of Ehb, the story follows a man called Farmer (Jason Statham), an orphan who was adopted by the village. When Farmer's wife, Solana (Claire Forlani), and his son leave to sell vegetables at the town of Stonebridge, his farm is attacked by creatures called Krug. With the help of his friend and mentor, Norrick (Creator/RonPerlman), he fights off the Krug and travels to Stonebridge. However, the Krug kill his son and capture his wife. Accompanied by Norrick and Bastian (Will Sanderson), his brother-in-law, Farmer intends to find and rescue his wife.
The Krug are being controlled by the wizard Gallian (Creator/RayLiotta) who is amassing an army to overthrow King Konreid (Creator/BurtReynolds), with the assistance of the King's nephew, Fallow (Matthew Lillard).
A [[Film/InTheNameOfTheKing2TwoWorlds sequel]] was released in 2011, with a third movie in post production as of September, 2013.
!!''In The Name of The King'' provides examples of:
* AbnormalAmmo: During the first battle with the Krug, the Krug roll out catapults and launch... themselves set on fire.
* ActionGirl: Subverted. Muriella puts on armor and grabs a sword to go help her king fight... and does absolutely nothing for the rest of the film except providing a distraction at the end.
* AlwaysChaoticEvil: The Krug.
** Subverted in that the Krug are only this way because they are being controlled by Gallian. As soon as that control is broken, they mindlessly wander off.
* BadassCreed: King Konreid has one.
--> Wisdom is our hammer.
--> Prudence will be our nail.
--> When men build lives from honest toil-
--> Courage never fails.
* BigBad: Gallian.
* CoolOldGuy: Norrick and King Konreid.
* CourtMage: Merick.
* CurbStompBattle: Averted when the King's army actually fights the Krug in open battle. Despite a few difficulties beforehand they do manage to pull out a victory. When Fallow duels Tarish, however, it's definitely this. Even after being caught off guard, Tarish is beating him.
* TheDragon: Fallow thinks he is the one in charge, until Gallian puts him in his place.
* EverybodyCallsHimBarkeep: Farmer.
** Discussed at the beginning, when Farmer's son asks him why he prefers to be called this way. Farmer expresses his belief that a person's job ''should'' be reflected in his name.
* EvilSorcerer: Gallian.
* TheGoodKing: Konreid is pretty benevolent.
* HiddenBackupPrince: [[spoiler:Farmer]].
* ImprobableWeaponUser: Farmer is just a farmer with a machete and a boomerang, yet he wields the boomerang like [[Franchise/TheLegendOfZelda Link]] and his magic boomerang, capable of hitting multiple targets with a single throw and still having it come right back.
* InNameOnly: Just ''try'' connecting this film to the video game franchise it's supposedly based on.
* KeystoneArmy: The Krug immediately stop fighting [[spoiler:when Farmer kills Gallian]].
* LargeHam: Gallian and his EvilLaugh.
** HamAndCheese: Ray Liotta.
* LeftHanging: The ending leaves the fates of about three different groups of characters essentially unresolved.
* LoopholeAbuse: According to Merick, a magus must always serve a king in order to retain his power. Gallian serves no one yet is extremely powerful. When asked, Gallian reveals that he had the Krug accept him as their king and now serves ''himself''. It's implied that this wouldn't work for everyone, only someone already insane enough to believe that.
* TheMentor: Norrick.
* PlotHole: It seems Uwe Boll deleted ''plot relevant scenes'' which results in a lot of confusion to anyone trying to make sene of the story.
* SmugSnake: Fallow.
* ThereIsAnother: [[spoiler:Muriella has the powers of a magus, but Merick doesn't see that until the end]].
* WeHaveReserves: This is the only way the Krug know how to fight.
* WhatHappenedToTheMouse: People that don't watch the deleted scenes may wonder what happened to Fallow after Farmer is outed as a prince in the middle of his duel with Tarish. For some reason Boll took out the scene where Tarish immediately slits Fallow's throat after Farmer is outed.
* YouHaveFailedMe: Fallow kills a general for asking a few questions and asks the other soldiers if anyone else wishes to commit ''treason''.