->''"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying."''
One of the oldest of human desires is to counteract [[WeAreAsMayflies the fleeting nature of our short human existence]]. Eternal life is ingrained in the collective human consciousness, having been present in literature and myths for [[OlderThanDirt as long as they've been around]]. Literally. TheEpicOfGilgamesh (the oldest heroic epic known to the modern world) is, in large part, about the titular character's search for a way to live forever.
Of course, having been around for so long, Our Immortality Is Different, and comes in several flavours. These tropes are not mutually exclusive; there's plenty of room for overlap.
* '''CompleteImmortality''' - A character simply ''can't'' die, ever.
** This trope = The Ageless + NighInvulnerability
* '''Retroactive Immortality''' - A character ''can'' die, but won't ''stay'' dead.
** The Ageless + FromASingleCell
* '''Spare Bodies'''
* '''Biological Immortality''' - A character is immune to the ravages of time.
* '''Force of Will'''
* '''How to become immortal?''' - Methods by which a mortal character can actively cheat death. Key word being ''actively'', once the method is stopped or reversed, they become mortal again.
* '''Incomplete Immortality'''
For general tropes relating to immortality, see ThisIndexWillLiveForever.