''Hobgoblin'' is a 1981 ProblemNovel by John Coyne which follows Scott Gardiner, a player of "Hobgoblin", an Irish-themed RolePlayingGame as he deals with the death of his father, his mother's new job documenting the history of Ballycastle, and dealing with a new school.
!!Contains Examples Of:
* BadassGrandpa: Conor and [[spoiler:Fergus]] are easily in their 70's, but a lifetime of menial work still lets them wreak havoc with medieval weapons when they wish to.
* TheBlacksmith: Conor's role at Ballycastle is to restore the items therein including the weaponry.
* BrokenAesop: The epilogue of the story implies that Scott's obsession with Hobgoblin was a childish thing which he's since put aside upon starting college. On the other hand, it was skills associated with the game that let him [[spoiler:fend off Fergus when he returns and goes on a killing spree]].
* TheDragon: Conor.
* JerkJock: Borgus and his crew.
* KnightInSourArmor: Scott doesn't so much want to save the high-schoolers as that he's less than sane at that point.
* LonersAreFreaks: Played with to some degree. Scott wants little to do with the town of Flat Rock and it's portrayed as unhealthy. However, they wanted nothing to do with him either.
* RippedFromTheHeadlines: The book was put out at the same as ''MazesAndMonsters'' to ride upon the MoralPanic of the Egbert incident.
* ThereAreNoTherapists: Averted. Scott sees a therapist both after his father's death and after [[spoiler:killing the rampaging Fergus]].