[[caption-width-right:330:Classic style happy ending.]]
->''The popular preference for a story with "a happy ending" is not, or at least was not, a mere sweet-stuff optimism; it is the remains of the old idea of the triumph of the dragon-slayer, the ultimate apotheosis of the man beloved of heaven.''
%% One quote is sufficient. Please place additional entries on the quotes tab.
Some stories just end ''happily'', with the villain defeated (or the basic problem ''resolved'') and [[TheGoodGuysAlwaysWin the heroes triumphant]]. It remains the most common type of ending, even if it can be [[TrueArtIsAngsty disdained by some]]. [[OmnipresentTrope Far, far too common to provide examples]].
Specific types of HappyEnding include:
* HappilyEverAfter - for when just being happy isn't quite enough
* EarnYourHappyEnding - for when the HappyEnding comes after much darkness and angst
* DeusExMachina - when the HappyEnding is too easy
* EsotericHappyEnding - when the 'happy' ending doesn't sound like one
* SurprisinglyHappyEnding - when the characters were expecting something else
Contrast DownerEnding and BittersweetEnding.
Has nothing whatsoever to do with HappyEndingMassage, so [[FreudWasRight get your mind out of the gutter!]]
As this is an OmnipresentTrope, '''no examples please.'''