%% Image selected per Image Pickin' thread: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=1377116713003672700
%% Please do not replace or remove without starting a new thread.
[[caption-width-right:236:My shield says "Nyahhh!" to you, sir!]]
[[LuckilyMyShieldWillProtectMe Shields]] can have some amazing and intricate designs on them. In particular, those resembling faces. Probably for intimidation.
[[IThoughtItMeant No, this isn't about masks.]] Compare with RageHelm.
* In the ''Literature/LoneWolf'' books, this is a common feature of the illustrations by Gary Chalk. ''The Magnamund Companion'' has some notable examples too.
** The occasional Megazord uses a component mecha's head as a shield, including the Mastodon in season 1 of ''Series/MightyMorphinPowerRangers'' and Elephant in ''Series/PowerRangersWildForce''. The Thundersaurus Megazord in ''Series/PowerRangersDinoThunder'' ''could'' use its Triceratops head as a shield, but rarely did so.
** Also in ''Dino Thunder'', the Blue and Triassic Rangers' personal weapons are shields shaped like ceratopsian heads (Triceratops for Blue, Styracosaurus for Triassic).
[[folder:Myths & Religion]]
* Myth/ClassicalMythology: [[LadyOfWar Athena]]'s shield has Medusa's head on it. Not a design, Medusa's ''actual [[OffWithHisHead severed head.]]''
** In the first edition ''Monster Manual'', an illustration for the kobold has a fighter with a giant ant's head on his shield.
** Third edition has a Lion's Head Shield.
** Some of the dwarven lord units feature dwarven heads carved into their shields.
** Several of the shields for Chaos Knights and Chaos Warriors also feature daemonic faces. Valkia the Bloody has a shield with an [[UpToEleven actual daemon's]] [[OffWithHisHead head]] bound to it.
* ''VideoGame/AgeOfMythology'' includes the ancient Greeks as a faction. As can be seen from the model representing a soldier of the time that's the image for this page, their troops of course can have these in the game - namely, an upgrade from worshiping Athena of the Aegis Shield she was known for carrying has its attainment visually represented by putting the design of Medusa's head on the shields of infantry benefiting from it.
* The Mirror Shield in ''VideoGame/TheLegendOfZeldaMajorasMask''.
* Very prominent in ''VideoGame/WorldOfWarcraft'' -- just to show three examples: [[http://www.wowhead.com/item=45877 Humanoid]], [[http://www.wowhead.com/item=2916 Lion]], [[http://www.wowhead.com/item=1168 Skeletor]].
* One item in ''VideoGame/WarcraftIII'' is the Frost Wyrm Skull Shield -- an undead dragon's skull with handles on it.
* In the ''Franchise/FinalFantasy'' series, there is the Aegis shield, a shield that brings terror to all who behold it, and contains a demon within. Said demon's face is on the shield.
* The ''VideoGame/DragonQuest'' series has numerous examples.
** The Boss Shield and Tempest Shield have standard intimidating faces.
** The Slime Shield bears the face of everyone's favorite MascotMook.
** The Harmour/Evil Armor enemy class has a skull face shield
** The Shielder enemies have shields bigger than their bodies with living faces.
* In ''VideoGame/TheElderScrollsIIIMorrowind'', both varieties of Daedric shields have some pretty angry looking faces carved into them.
* The Defender Heartless in ''Franchise/KingdomHearts'' possesses a shield with a living, giant dog's head growing out of it. And it RandomlyDrops as one of Goofy's stronger shields.
* One of the ''VideoGame/DragonAgeII'' pre-order items was the Lion of Orlais shield which had the face of a... well, guess.
* Arcane Shield from ''VideoGame/ArcanumOfSteamworksAndMagickObscura'' is a wooden shield with a skull face "surfacing" from it.
* ''VideoGame/GuildWars'' has several -- the [[http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Ascalon_Aegis.jpg Ascalon Aegis]] (and it's variants), the [[http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Guardian_of_the_Hunt.jpg Guardian of the Hunt]], and most prominently, the [[http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:Gingerbread_Shield.jpg Gingerbread Shield]] are just three such examples.
* The logo of the Knights of Good on ''WebVideo/TheGuild'' has a shield with a smiley emoticon.
* The paladin from the ''WesternAnimation/DungeonsAndDragons'' cartoon series has a pegasus on it.
* Monkian from ''WesternAnimation/ThunderCats'' has a shield with a face that shoots cannonballs.