[[caption-width-right:349:[[Characters/FriendshipIsMagicRedeemed He's living up to his]] [[VisualPun name...]]]]
->''"Men often hate each other because they fear each other; they fear each other because they don't know each other; they don't know each other because they cannot communicate; they cannot communicate because they are separated."''
-->-- '''[[UsefulNotes/CivilRightsMovement Martin Luther King, Jr.]]'''
As the old saying goes, "''Can't we all just get along?''"
Since HumansAreBastards, this means that they all hate each others' guts, and that's one of the things to make a signature CrapsackWorld. Here are common tropes regarding characters who do not get along at all.
A super-index to CivilUnrestTropes. Compare HatredTropes. Contrast FriendshipTropes and PeaceTropes. See FrenemyTropes if it combines enmity with friendship.
* AchillesInHisTent: A member of the team quits the group after a disagreement with them. They come back in the end.
* ArgumentOfContradictions: "It's not!" "It's too!"
* AppleOfDiscord: When an important object causes everyone to fight each other over it.
* AthensAndSparta: Two rival or warring factions are neighboring cities, countries, or ideals.
* BelligerentSexualTension: Two characters hate each other despite secretly liking each other.
* BigotVsBigot: Two bigots hate each other's guts.
* BigScrewedUpFamily: The family not only hates each other, but are also trying to kill each other.
* BrokenBase: The fanbase can never agree on anything.
* CainAndAbel: Two siblings hate each other.
* ChainedHeat: When opposed characters are chained together.
* ConflictBall: They fight and argue with each other because the plot requires it.
* CycleOfRevenge: Everyone is trying to kill each other out of revenge.
* DivineConflict: Gods who fight each other.
* DysfunctionalFamily: A family who can't get along.
* EnemyMine: Two enemies team up against someone they hate more.
* FandomRivalry: Two different fanbases don't get along with each other.
* FantasticRacism: Prejudice between fictional races or species.
* FeudEpisode: An episode about two characters, usually friends, fighting each other.
* FeudingFamilies: Families hate each other.
* FightingTheLancer: TheHero gets into a fight with TheLancer.
* FireForgedFriends: Two enemies become friends due to circumstances.
* FlameWar: People argue on the internet.
* FriendVersusLover: Conflict between the character's best friend and their LoveInterest.
* TheGloriousWarOfSisterlyRivalry: Sisters who fight.
* HateAtFirstSight: Two characters hate each other in their first meeting.
* HatePlague: Everyone hates each other because of an unknown force.
* HeadbuttingHeroes: Heroes who hate each other.
* HiddenDisdainReveal: A character declares they always hated another character, usually during a falling out.
* HostilityOnTheSet: Two or more actors clash with each other, or with the director.
* AHouseDivided: When characters turn against each other when they should be working together.
* IDontLikeYouAndYouDontLikeMe: A phrase said by a character to a partner he doesn't like.
* InterserviceRivalry: Two government agencies have bad blood.
* ItsPersonalWithTheDragon: TheHero has a vendetta against the villain's second-in-command.
* LetsYouAndHimFight: Two heroes fight each other due to misunderstanding.
* NoSympathyBetweenMooks: The villain's henchmen don't like each other.
* PoorCommunicationKills: Sometimes, lack of communication can cause conflict and hostility between the characters.
* QuarrelingSong: A song about characters fighting each other.
* TheRival: A character who shares enmity with TheHero for some reason, but isn't necessarily the main villain.
** RivalTurnedEvil: When his rivalry with the hero becomes more antagonistic.
* SiblingRivalry: Siblings don't get along.
* SillyReasonForWar: Characters fighting each other for trivial reasons.
* SlapSlapKiss: Couples fight before kissing each other.
** KissKissSlap: Couples kissing before fighting each other.
* SmallTownRivalry: Characters of different towns loathe each other.
* TeethClenchedTeamwork: Two characters hate each other despite working together.
* VitriolicBestBuds: Two friends who argue and bicker with each other.
* VolleyingInsults: Two characters trading insults at each other.
* WeAreStrugglingTogether: Conflict and tension between voluntary movements gets in the way of defeating the BigBad.
* WeUsedToBeFriends: Used to be friends, but now hate each other's guts.
* WithFriendsLikeThese: Two friends who treat each other like garbage.