[[caption-width-right:275:The Earth rotates on the axis of this lady's hat.]]
->''"I've always said, 'Give me [[HorsebackHeroism horses]], [[BadassCape capes]] and [[OfCorsetsSexy cleavage]] and I'm a happy man.'"''
A costume drama is a PeriodPiece in which elaborate costumes, sets and properties are featured in order to capture the ambiance of a particular era. Most costume dramas are adaptations of classic literature, often romances, but the term can also be used to describe things such as RobinHood.
Even if the plot is not realistic or is victim to SadlyMythtaken, if the costumes are lavishly detailed and the designer has ShownTheirWork a film can still be a good example of CostumeDrama.
Because of its tendency towards spectacle, CostumeDrama is the home of CostumePorn, especially the [[PimpedOutDress pimped out]] GorgeousPeriodDress. If the character is of sufficient social status to afford a vast wardrobe ([[EpicMovie and the budget can accommodate it]]), the costume designer usually [[UnlimitedWardrobe runs with it]].
* ''A Frozen Flower''
* ''The Other Boleyn Girl''
* Most adaptations of ''PrideAndPrejudice'', or any Jane Austen work, for that matter.
* Most adaptations of ''AnnaKarenina''
* The film adaptation of ''ThePhantomOfTheOpera'' musical
* Virtually any drama set amongst the upper classes of Victorian England, or pre-revolutionary France.
* ''Series/UpTheWomen'' is a period comedy.