-->''In those savage times the emergence of a woman ruler was enough to betoken''
-->''her possession of extraordinary qualities. Edward the Elder as he was afterwards called,''
-->''and his sister, "the Lady of the Mercians", conducted the national war in common and''
-->''carried it's success to heights which Alfred never knew.''
--> WinstonChurchill, ''The History of the English Speaking Peoples''
Aethelflaed is a little known but remarkable and interesting historical figure. She was something of an [[AngloSaxons Anglo-saxon]] [[JeanneDArchetype Joan of Arc]] during the dark days of the [[HornyVikings Danish]] invasions.
Aethelflaed was the oldest daughter of AlfredTheGreat . She was married to Aethelred, Ealdorman of Mercia in an effort to [[ArrangedMarriage seal]] the merger of the remaining Anglo-Saxon kingdoms into, well,"Angleland"-now known as England . Aethelred was apparently sickly through much of his term and Aethelflaed appears to have been [[ManBehindTheMan the woman behind the man]] in Mercia and became the UnexpectedSuccessor after her husband's death. In [[BrotherSisterTeam partnership]] with her brother Edward, King of Wessex, she led campaigns culminating in the Battle of Tettenhall which stopped the Danish advance and began the reconquest of the Danish territories.
* TheAlliance: with Edward
* BadassFamily: Alfred and his children form one of the most badass families in English history.
* BrotherSisterTeam: With Edward of Wessex
* DaddysGirl: Naturally, given what a DotingParent Alfred was.
* [[LikeFatherLikeSon Like Father Like Daughter]]
* OvershadowedByAwesome: Anyone whose father is AlfredTheGreat is automatically OvershadowedByAwesome.
* [[ProudWarriorRaceGuy Proud Warrior Race Gal]]
!! Aethelflaed in Fiction:
* ''King Alfreds Daughter: The Lady of the Mercians'' by Marjory Grieser
* Features heavily BernardCornwell's series; ''TheSaxonStories''. Particularly in the later books.
* ''The Edge on the Sword'' by Rebecca Tingle