-->''In those savage times the emergence of a woman ruler was enough to betoken her possession of extraordinary qualities. Edward the Elder, as he was afterwards called, and his sister, the "Lady of the Mercians", conducted the national war in common and carried its success to heights which Alfred never knew.''
-->'''UsefulNotes/WinstonChurchill''', ''The History of the English Speaking Peoples''
Aethelflaed is a little known but remarkable and interesting historical figure. She was something of an [[UsefulNotes/AngloSaxons Anglo-saxon]] [[JeanneDArchetype Joan of Arc]] during the dark days of the [[HornyVikings Danish]] invasions.
Aethelflaed was the oldest daughter of AlfredTheGreat . She was married to Aethelred, Ealdorman of Mercia in an effort to [[ArrangedMarriage seal]] the merger of the remaining Anglo-Saxon kingdoms into, well,"Angleland"-now known as England . Aethelred was apparently sickly through much of his term and Aethelflaed appears to have been [[ManBehindTheMan the woman behind the man]] in Mercia and became the UnexpectedSuccessor after her husband's death. In [[BrotherSisterTeam partnership]] with her brother Edward, King of Wessex, she led campaigns culminating in the Battle of Tettenhall which stopped the Danish advance and began the reconquest of the Danish territories.
* TheAlliance: With Edward.
* BadassFamily: Alfred and his children form one of the most badass families in English history.
* BrotherSisterTeam: With Edward of Wessex
* DaddysGirl: Naturally, given what a DotingParent Alfred was.
* [[LikeFatherLikeSon Like Father Like Daughter]]
* OvershadowedByAwesome: Anyone whose father is AlfredTheGreat is automatically OvershadowedByAwesome.
* [[ProudWarriorRaceGuy Proud Warrior Race Gal]]
!!Aethelflaed in Fiction:
* ''King Alfreds Daughter: The Lady of the Mercians'' by Marjory Grieser
* Features heavily in Creator/BernardCornwell's series ''Literature/TheSaxonStories''. Particularly in the later books.
* ''The Edge on the Sword'' by Rebecca Tingle