A 2011 MysteryFiction/ YoungAdult / HardboiledDetective parody novel by Sean Beaudoin.
Dalton Rev, an amateur [[KidDetective Teen Detective]] transfers to Salt River High, a WretchedHive where cliques function more like gangs, to solve the murder of Wesley Payne, one of the most popular kids on campus.
Modeling himself after Lexington Cole, a schlocky series of detective novels, Dalton handles, armies of [[JerkJock Jerk Jocks]], psychopathic punk rockers, textbook-racketeering nerds, and a faculty that operates on bribes to get to the bottom of an energy drink-fueled conspiracy. The novel features rather cartoonish imagery and outlandish characters. Its like detective noir [[UnusualEuphemism sliding]] with ScottPilgrim.
!!Tropes associated with this work:
* AdultsAreUseless: Dalton holds this view, given his experiences with his parents.
* AffectionateParody: of HardboiledDetective fiction.
* AlphaBitch: Cassiopia Jones. [[spoiler: Subverted, its all an act.]]
* ArcWords: You killed Wesley Payne.
* AxesAtSchool: Clique tensions are so strong that there’s a gang of snipers, the Lee Harvies, who keep order. The Pinker Casket band is shown to actually be stockpiling axes for their takeover.
* BrandX: Boxxmart.
* [[spoiler: BuryYourGays]]
* CorruptCop/ PoliceAreUseless: The cops are actively malevolent towards anyone snooping into Wesley’s death. [[spoiler: subverted at the end.]]
* [[spoiler: DidNotGetTheGirl: In fact, he gets her arrested.]]
* TheDreaded: Lee Harvies keep the barest semblance of order with the threat of sniping.
* DrivenToSuicide: The cops brush off Wesley’s death as this, Dalton thinks otherwise. [[spoiler: He’s wrong.]]
* EnemyCivilWar: The Balls, the football team, and Pinker Casket, the school rock band, each want to wipe each other out.
* FemmeFatale: Cassiopia Jones, [[spoiler: Macy Payne]].
* GenreSavvy: Dalton lives by HardboiledDetective rules.
* HardboiledDetective: Dalton Rev imagines himself to be one, basing himself off the fictional (that is, the stories are fictional) Lexington Cole series.
* HeroicSacrifice: [[spoiler: Wesley killed himself to wake up the school to how terrible the clique system was.]]
* JerkJock: Jeff Chuff and his clique the Balls, the local football team.
* KudzuPlot: In Noir tradition, there are wheels within wheels.
* LoadsAndLoadsOfCharacters: There’s a handy chart and index included.
* MacGuffin: The money stolen from the principles vault.
* MeaningfulName: [[spoiler: [[TheMole Mole]]]]
* [[spoiler: TheMole: Mole, of course.]]
* RelationshipReveal: a couple, the most notable being: [[spoiler: Wesley and Chuff]].
* TheReveal: Too many to count, even before the end.
* RippedFromTheHeadlines: The mysterious Rush soda has shades of the energy drink health scare on high school and college campuses.
* TeenGenius: The Euclids.
* StylisticSuck: There’s a sample of a Lexington Cole novel in the extras, Mickey Spillane would be proud.
* UnusualEuphemism: All hard swearing is replaced with similar sounding gibberish, such as bloshite, and God is replaced with Bob. It really fits with how cartoonish the world is.
* XanatosGambit: At the end, Dalton sets one up to set the two main cliques against each other. [[spoiler: Macy hired Dalton to trigger a clique war so the Euclids could take power.]]