''Worlds of Shadow'' is the three-book series by Creator/LawrenceWattEvans. It's the tale of an UnluckyEverydude and his friends and family as they find themselves caught up in a battle against an EvilOverlord who's taken over a fantasy universe and is attacking a sci-fi one. According to the author, "That would imply that the series is science-fantasy, blending two genres -- but actually, it's more like horror, because in none of the three worlds do the good guys always win."
!!This series provides examples of:
* AliensSpeakingEnglish / HumanAliens: Justified?there are an infinite number of parallel universes, but contact can be made only if those sending and receiving are of similar species and speak a similar language.
* ArbitrarySkepticism: One character is convinced the events of the story are AllJustADream, and essentially goes insane as a result.
* BoringFailureHero: The reason (or rather, ''[[RapeAsDrama a]]'' [[WomenInRefrigerators reason]]) some people really, really hate the first book.
* CainAndAbel: Raven and his brother.
* DeusAngstMachina: [[AngstAversion There's a reason]] there aren't any tropes here from the second or third book.
* HumansAreWhite: Lampshaded in the sci-fi universe in such a manner as to give InferredHolocaust a new meaning.
* ItsPersonal: [[spoiler:The villains rape and kill the main character's wife and prepubescent daughter.]]
* MindOverManners: Played straight in that psychics follow it, subverted in that most people don't believe they follow it, and consequently don't trust them.
* RedShirt: Characters with [[NominalImportance no first name]] have a poor survival rate. Interestingly enough, the main character considers ''himself'' a RedShirt.
* RefusalOfTheCall: Played with.
* ThisIsReality: Not to mention something of a TakeThat to two entire genres and their [[SillyRabbitIdealismIsForKids idealistic tendencies]]. The main character also qualifies as WrongGenreSavvy.