''Wonder Boys'' is a 1995 novel by Creator/MichaelChabon. It revolves around Pittsburgh college professor/novelist Grady Tripp, who, over the course of a weekend, has to handle a troubled student, his unfinished novel (also called ''Wonder Boys''), his pregnant girlfriend (the chancellor of the college and his boss' wife), his wife, a purloined jacket and a dead dog.
In 2000 ''Wonder Boys'' was adapted into a [[Film/WonderBoys film]].
!! This book contains examples of:
* BiTheWay: Terry Crabtree.
* ConsummateLiar: [[spoiler:James Leer.]]
* EruditeStoner: Grady.
* EvilDetectingDog: Sara's husband is clueless about her affair with Grady. His dog, Doctor Dee, on the other hand....
* HappilyAdopted: All of Irene and Irving Warshaw's surviving children are adopted and don't seem any more messed up than biological children.
* ObnoxiousInLaws: Averted. Grady and his in-laws share a great deal of mutual respect and affection.
* ParentalAbandonment: Grady's mother died when he was an infant and his father killed himself a few years later, leaving Grady to be raised by his grandmother. [[spoiler:May also apply to James Leer. [[ConsummateLiar Or not]].]]
* PlagiarismInFiction: Grady and Terry meet in college when they plagiarize the same short story for a creative writing class.
* ScaryBlackMan: Clement, the bouncer at the Hi-Hat.
* ShootTheDog: [[spoiler:Literally. Doctor Dee had it coming, though.]]
* TrophyRoom: Walter's sports memorabilia closet.
* WholesomeCrossdresser: Miss Antonia Sloviak.
* WritersBlock: Averted. Grady can't ''stop'' writing.
* YourCheatingHeart: Grady's had a long-standing affair with Sara. It isn't his first. [[spoiler:James implies he's the product of an affair between his mother and his paternal grandfather. [[ConsummateLiar Or not]].]]