''When Rabbit Howls'' is a 1987 autobiography by "The Troops" for Truddi Chase (being the collective name for the author's multiple personalities). The novel details her journey through therapy as she discovers dozens of personalities living within her, and unlocks the horrors of her childhood that caused her mind to fracture over and over again.
!!This novel provides examples of:
* AbusiveParents: The Stepfather, although the Mother dished out a fair share of physical and emotional abuse.
* AlphaBitch: Catherine was created to be a strong, dominant personality who could force the Troops into line.
* AwesomeMcCoolname: Many of the personalities have these--Ten-Four, Nails, The Seventh Horseman, The Zombie, and Miss Wonderful, among others.
* [[spoiler: CallingTheOldManOut: At the end of the novel, the Troops arrive ''en masse'' on the Stepfather's doorstep, in their own bodies, to deal out their revenge. Turns out it was AllJustADream, though.]]
* [[CreepyChild Creepy Children]]: The little ones in the Troop formation are very damaged, very angry, and hungry for revenge.
** One child manifests as an eyeless creature frozen in a block of ice. Another child presents herself to The Woman by slipping up and silently staring at her.
* DisabilitySuperpower: One of the most controversial aspects of the book is Chase's apparently ability to interfere with electronic devices with her mind, [[HandWave handwaved]] as the electronic feedback of many minds coming and going at once. She also allegedly displayed mild precognitive and mental domination abilities.
* EyeColorChange: Frequently occurs when a different personality emerges.
* FightingIrish: Eon presents himself as the reincarnation of an ancient Irish warrior and is implied to be a remnant of one of Chase's past lives. The less mystically minded interpret Eon as an internalize version of Truddi's beloved Irish grandfather.
* MyNaymeIs: Little Lambchop variously spells her name as Lambchop, Lamb Chop, and Lamchop.
* OneSteveLimit: Among the personalities is Catherine, Lady Catherine, Sister Mary Catherine, and Black Katherine.
* PapaWolf: Mean Joe.
* PuritySue: Played straight. Miss Wonderful is literally incapable of sexual thoughts and has no memory of any sexual experiences.
* TheIngenue: Twelve is a savvy twelve-year-old girl.
* SharkPool: As a punishment her sadistic stepfather [[spoiler:lowers her into a well infested with snakes. The trauma of this single event finally pushes her over the edge and she begins to split off her personalities to deal with her abuse.]]
* SplitPersonalityMerge: The Troops refuse to do so.
* TalkingToThemself: The author's various personalities have internal conversations with each other.
* TheVoiceless: Rabbit only screams in pain and horror.
* WomanInBlack: Black Katherine, a fearsome personality, presents as this.