Science fiction novel written by Canadian Joseph Picard.
!!Tropes found in this book include:
* AppliedPhlebotinum: Nanites, nanites, nanites!
* AwesomeButImpractical: The Yute spears that the temple guards use, but this is averted because of the mysterious force that prevents firearms from being used inside the temple.
* BaitAndSwitchLesbians: Happens near the end with [[spoiler: Cassidy and Cipriana.]]
* BladeOnAStick: The preferred weapon of the Yute temple guards, who have no guns on base.
* BombDisposal: [[spoiler: While jumping on top of a grenade isn't exactly the best way to deal with it, Cassidy was ready to do just that when two maniacs threatened tourists with them.]]
* BoobyTrap: Horad has a spring loaded one in his hideout, but it rarely sees action, as people know how to disable it and pass.
* [[spoiler:BuryYourGays]] Averted with Cassidy.
* CastFullOfGay: And lesbians.
* TheChainsofCommanding: Cipriana goes through this shortly after [[spoiler: Marcus is killed.]]
* ChaseScene: Happens early in the book to introduce Cassidy.
* CloningGambit: Used by Kirison. [[spoiler: Doesn't necessarily clone himself, but instead makes multiple copies of his brain to use.]]
** TheCaptain: Marcus
** TheHeart: Cipriana. Also is the TeamMom.
** NewMeat: Cheryl
** TheSquadette: Cassidy. Also the ActionGirl.
* CoolOldGuy: Major Marcus Douglas.
* DarkestHour: [[spoiler: After Cheryl's sudden death, what more could Cassidy do until she is asked to help find the killer? Cry her lungs out? Oh, yeah.]]
* DramaBomb: Pretty much the entire second half of the novel.
* FagHag: Cassidy is more relaxed hanging around Jim than anyone, who is straight.
* FakeInTheHole: [[spoiler: Due to the "magic" in the temple, the grenades couldn't go off.]]
* Gaydar: Cipriana has a legendary one. [[spoiler: Might just be taking one to knowing one, however.]]
* GunsAreWorthless: Cassidy hates them, but [[spoiler: reluctantly takes one when she is offered the chance to kill or capture Horad.]]
* HaveYouTriedNotBeingAMonster: Cassidy to Jim, and vice versa.
* HeroicBSOD: This happens with Cassidy, often turning her AxCrazy in the process.
* HumansAreBastards: The explanation for all the events that occur in Watching Yute. Hell, it's the explanation for most of the events that happen in real life, too.
* [[spoiler:InterruptedSuicide]] which leads into [[spoiler:HappilyFailedSuicide]]
* KarmicDeath: Averted with and played straight.
* ManipulativeBastard: Kirison, who made Horad believe [[spoiler: that everything he did in the story was for the glory of the Aguei.]]
* NiceHat: Said about Cassidy's trademark cap.
* PrecisionFStrike: Happens several times in the story, but [[spoiler: most notably with Cipriana.]]
* ThousandYardStare: Seen in some of the official art for the book.
* WellIntentionedExtremist: Horad believes that the Aguei have forgotten their true roots and disgraced the Yute temple, which leads him to work with and believe everything Kirison said about restoring the Aguei to their former glory.
* WhatTheHellHero: Cipriana (with a few swears mixed in) after [[spoiler: she interrupted Cassidy, who was just about to kill herself.]]