The ''War of the Dreaming'' is fantasy duology by Creator/JohnCWright
* ''Last Guardian of Everness''
* ''Mists of Everness''
* TheAce: Pendrake. Brilliant inventor, self made millionaire, lawyer, deadly combatant, there's pretty much nothing he can't do.
** Manannan, the selkie King, who was trying his damndest to keep his people from being utterly destroyed.
** Arguably Azrael, who wished to make men independent of both Acheron and Heaven.
* AllMythsAreTrue: shading over to CrossoverCosmology.
** Interlaps with IHaveManyNames; it is explicitly stated(by Heracles) that [[Myth/GreekMythology Cerberus]] is another name for Koschei the Deathless.
* AndIMustScream: [[spoiler: [[DistressCall "galen help]] [[NightmareFuel im trapped in nastrond."]]]]
* ArsonMurderAndJaywalking: two villains rattle off a list of atrocities they can/will commit against the American people...and pause when they are ordered to nuke Hollywood.
* [[spoiler: TheAtoner: Azrael realizes he was wrong from the beginning and sets out to make amends.]]
* BadassCape: lampshaded and justified via FunctionalMagic, not to mention roundly mocked.
** IgnorantOfTheCall: [[ReluctantWarrior Raven]] merely wants to [[DealWithTheDevil save]] his [[IllGirl wife]].
** JumpedAtTheCall:[[LeeroyJenkins Galen]].
** RefusalOfTheCall: [[IJustWantToBeNormal Peter]].
** They all end up ResignedToTheCall
* CovertPervert: Wendy "Hey, is this the [[HilariousInHindsight Oval Office]]?" Varovitch. Notably, although published in the millenium, the books were written long before a certain scandal happened.
* CrazyPrepared: The Waylocks as a family. Pendrake.
* CrossoverCosmology: In addition to Wright's own creations, the world of the Dreaming includes angels and fallen angels, beings from Greek, Norse, and Celtic mythology and Arthurian legend. Plus lots of briefer references, see ShoutOut below.
* CurbStompBattle: [[spoiler: Acheron vs the US Pacific Carrier group.]] Also [[spoiler: Acheron's archangels vs the 105th Fighter Attack Squadron]]. On the other hand, [[MugglesDoItBetter mortal technology]] is quite good at wiping out non-immortal bad guys.
* DreamLand: Central conceit.
* [[spoiler: EarnYourHappyEnding]]
--> Sometimes Mackleir did not care for [[IHaveYourWife the ways of his people.]]
* EvenMooksHaveLovedOnes: When one enemy soldier dies, he gasps out a woman's name, "surely a sweetheart's or a lover's." Some of the selkie also speak of returning to their wives.
* FauxAffablyEvil: This is pretty much the selkies hat. They always seem Cheerful even when comitting the vilest atrocities.
* FishOutOfTemporalWater: Azrael
* GenkiGirl: Wendy
* HannibalLecture: Azrael ''attempts'' this.
* HeroSecretService: [[spoiler: Pendrake]] directs a [[MissionControl variant]] of this.
* [[HotSubOnSubAction Hot Sub On Sea Serpent Action]]
* HopeSpot: [[spoiler: the air force performs a ColonyDrop on Acheron, utterly destroying all the lesser minions...and is curb stomped by the immortals]].
* IDidWhatIHadToDo: Merlin/Azrael's answer for everything.
* KnightTemplar: many of the bad guys see [[UtopiaJustifiesTheMeans themselves]] as this. They are wrong.
* LoveMakesYouEvil: Most of the evil of the plot was kicked off because Raven was willing to do anything to keep his wife alive.
* LukeIAmYourFather: Azrael is the Waylocks' distant ancestor. However, while he goes to some lengths not to injure them ''permanently'', they have less compunction about trying to kill or banish him.
* ManicPixieDreamGirl: Wendy....literally
* MeaningfulName: lots.
* MeditationPowerup: Raven can only control the storm princes by remaining calm and confident.
* MysteriousParent: Wendy knows perfectly well who [[TheHighQueen Mommy]] and [[OmnidisciplinaryScientist Daddy]] are. It's her husband who has no idea.
* MythologyGag: (?) of Radio/TheShadow. Azrael realizes that [[spoiler: Pendrake]]'s [[CoatHatMask cloak and hat]] are a reference to [[Myth/NorseMythology Odin]].
* [[spoiler: NukeEm]]
* OneManArmy: Peter
* PossessionImpliesMastery: Averted. The heroes are able to use the talismans without any foreknowledge at all, but hurt themselves badly.
* ReplicantSnatching: Played for both horror and comedy, weirdly enough. The selkies wear people's skins, but swap faces often enough that [[ThoroughlyMistakenIdentity no one knows who anyone else is]].
* ReasonYouSuckSpeech: Titania points out how all of Merlin/Azrael's machinations to save Britain bore bitter fruit. The "necessary" lies were covered by other lies which led to the fall of Arthur. At the end, he gets the same treatment from Prometheus about his schemes that encompassed most of the plot.
* ScienceHero: [[spoiler: Pendrake]]
* ScrewDestiny: Done instead of following the [[PropheciesAreAlwaysRight prophecy]] and summoning the KingInTheMountain.
* ScrewThisImOuttaHere: Peter's ex-wife has this reaction.
* SealedArmyInACan: The Armies of Heaven (lead by [[Myth/NorseMythology Oberon]]) await only the call to descend and restore Earth. [[ScrewYouElves Theoretically]].
* SealedBadassInACan: Azrael de Gray.
* SelkiesAndWereseals: Selkies refer to the skins as "jackets," and they can be made from any species' flesh. Weirdly enough, this is also played for comedy: high-ranking selkie switch skins so often the lower ranks are perpetually confused about their identities.
* ShoutOut: to Creator/JackVance, among ''many'' others: C.S.Lewis' Literature/SpaceTrilogy, Creator/HPLovecraft's Dreamlands stories, ''Literature/AtlasShrugged'', ''Franchise/TheGreenHornet''...
* TakeALevelInBadass: What happens when the heroes ''do'' figure out how to use the talismans correctly.
* TooDumbToLive: Let's put it this way. When the resident CloudCuckooLander calls you out on it, you are probably this trope.
* VictorianNovelDisease: Wendy is dying from this at the beginning of the novel. Raven's trying to save her kicks off his involvement in the plot.
* WellIntentionedExtremist: Azrael, who wished to make men independent of both Acheron and Heaven.
* [[WickedStepmother Wicked Stepfather]]: Wil to Galen, who secretly hates him and wishes him to be out of Emily's life
--> '''di Angello''': "You're gonna kill us the minute we turn our backs."
--> Wentworth did not bother to contradict him.