A fantasy novel by Creator/EmmaBull and one of the pioneering works of UrbanFantasy, ''War for the Oaks'' is the story of Eddi [=McCandry=], a Minneapolis rock singer who's just quit her band and broken up with her boyfriend. There's also the matter of TheFairFolk moving in -- quite literally -- with her, and an impending war between the Seelie and Unseelie Courts into which she's just been drafted.
!!Contains examples of:
* TheBaroness: the Queen of Unseelie Court.
* BetaCouple: Carla and Dan.
* [[spoiler:BodyguardCrush]]: Eddi and the phouka.
* CharmPerson: [[spoiler:Willy]] does this to Eddi; she is unsurprisingly furious when she finds out.
* CounterfeitCash: The phouka uses disappearing fairy gold (or rather hundred-dollar bills) to buy Eddi a motorcycle. When she realizes what he's done she makes it clear that is not okay, even if the guy he did it to is a jerk.
* DoIReallySoundLikeThat: When Eddi is under a spell that removes all glamours, a side-effect is that she can hear her voice as she sounds to other people, which is a bit disorienting.
* DuetBonding: Eddi and Willy.
* ElementalBarrier: around the battle area.
* ElvishPresley: One of the earliest examples.
* TheFairFolk: Two courts: the Seelie and Unseelie courts, roughly corresponding to good and evil.
* FairyCompanion: The phouka and Meg to Eddi.
* FairySexy: many examples.
* GenderBlenderName: An offbeat one, too.
* AGoodNameForARockBand: Eddi & the Fey.
* IceQueen: two of them.
* InTheStyleOf: Eddi and her band like to try it as a kind of exercise.
* IOweYouMyLife: Meg feels indebted to Eddi after Eddi saves her life--which is not a feeling that the fay are comfortable with--but Eddi absolutely refuses to take advantage of it, even when she needs Meg's help to [[spoiler:rescue Willy from the Unseelie Court]].
-->'''Eddi''': I hope you'll help me--but not because you think you owe it to me. Do it because you want to do me a favor, or [[spoiler: Willy]] a favor, or because you think it's right. Or don't do it. I can't blame you if you don't.
* KilledOffForReal: [[spoiler:Willy Silver]].
* LoveableRogue: Most of the (non-evil) faeries, but the Phouka in particular.
* MagicMusic: True to folklore, the music of the faeries is impossible to resist, as audiences soon find.
* TheMole: [[spoiler: Hedge]].
* MundaneUtility: the magic of phouka and Meg.
* MyspeldRokband: [=InKline Plain=], Stuart Kline's band, which Eddi is still a member of at the beginning of the novel, described as "the most misspelled band in Minneapolis."
* NatureSpirit: glaistig and many other fairies.
* NeverTrustATitle: there are no strategically relevant oaks in the novel.
* NoNameGiven: The phouka is only ever addressed by the name of his species (although he uses the alias of [[AMidsummerNightsDream Robin Goode]] among humans not in the know). Whether he doesn't have a name or just isn't revealing it is never discussed.
* NotQuiteSavedEnough: Poor, poor [[spoiler: Willy]].
* ThePowerOfFriendship: The special bond between Eddi and phouka, created by Eddi's answer to the Queen, gives her a special power over fairies' fate.
* ThePowerOfRock: Present throughout the novel [[spoiler: including the final battle]].
* SkunkStripe: Willy Silver.
* UsefulNotes/TwinCities: The setting of the book; all the places mentioned in the novel are real.
* UrbanFantasy: One of the [[TropeCodifier Trope Codifiers]].
* YourMindMakesItReal: that is why phouka warns Eddi against doubt.