A novel written in TheNineties by Creator/MatthewTobinAnderson about a teenager named Christopher who's turning into a vampire and is trying to find a cure. It takes place in an AlternateUniverse in a seemingly modern version of Massachusetts where magic and the forces of darkness are real.
!! This novel provides examples of:
* CosmicPlaything: [[spoiler: Christopher]] turns out to be one.
* DarkIsNotEvil: The darkest force in the novel really only wants to escape his eternal prison so he can [[spoiler: commit suicide]].
* HealingFactor: Vampires posses this.
* LightIsNotGood: The Light is ultimately shown to be petty and overly concerned with vengeance and punishment.
* NightmareFuelStationAttendant: Lolli, a vampire, describes blood-drinking, the worship of dark gods, and murder in the same way that a ValleyGirl would describe going to the mall.
* [[PubertySuperpower Puberty Vampirism]]
* SealedEvilInACan: Tch'muchgar
* ShootTheShaggyDog: At the end of the novel even though Christopher helps destroy an ancient evil, it pits the forces of Light against him for freeing it in the first place. The fact that he helped to destroy it makes the forces of Darkness also his enemies. And since he finds that [[spoiler: vampirism]] is incurable, he can no longer [[spoiler: live with humans]] either. In short the events of the novel accomplished nothing and only succeeded to make Christopher's life worse in every imaginable way.
* TorchesAndPitchforks: How humans respond upon discovering a vampire.
* UrbanFantasy: Despite all the supernatural elements, the setting of the novel is basically modern-day Massachusetts.
* ValleyGirl: Lolli.
* VirginSacrifice: The Sad Festival of Vampires requires one each year in order to keep an evil entity in its prison. Most parents therefore encourage their children to go out to parties and get laid.