''The Whipping Boy'' is a children's novel by Creator/SidFleischman.
Prince Horace, better known as "Prince Brat", runs away from home, and forces his servant Jemmy (whose job it is to be whipped in the prince's place whenever the prince misbehaves, since it's illegal to whip royalty) to accompany him.
Winner of the 1987 NewberyMedal.
!!This book provides examples of:
* AluminumChristmasTrees: Whipping boys were actually TruthInTelevision, believe it or not. Children from poor families considered it a pretty good deal, despite the whippings, since they got to be educated alongside the children of royalty.
* BigDamnHeroes: Betsy and Petunia arrive in time to stop the thugs from attacking the two boys. And when they refuse to let them go, Betsy yells "Sic 'em, Petunia!", and the bear chases them off.
* BreakTheHaughty: Prince Horace.
* ButtMonkey: Jemmy, which kind of comes with the territory of being a whipping boy.
* CharacterDevelopment: Prince Horace towards the end. Jemmy to a certain extent as well.
* DontMakeMeTakeMyBeltOff: Jemmy's job is to take spankings in place of the prince, since it's forbidden to touch royalty.
* EmbarrassingNickname: "Prince Brat". [[spoiler:Horace is mortified when he hears it and realizes his subjects don't respect him, which is a key moment in his character development.]]
* FluffyTheTerrible: Betsy's dancing bear, Petunia.
* LonelyRichKid: Prince Horace.
* MistakenForServant: When the prince and Jemmy are abducted, the abductors believe Jemmy is the prince and Horace is the whipping boy, because Jemmy has better manners and hasn't been shirking his education.
* NamesToRunAwayFromReallyFast: Hold-Your-Nose Billy and Cutwater.
* PrideBeforeAFall: Prince Horace.
* PrinceAndPauper: Horace and Jemmy don't exactly look alike, but they do manage to be mistaken for each other.
* RoyalBrat: Prince Horace.
* TheRunaway: Prince Horace runs away out of sheer boredom and drags Jemmy along for the ride.
* TheScapegoat: Jemmy's role as the whipping boy.
* StreetSmart: Jemmy.
* ThoseTwoBadGuys: Hold-Your-Nose Billy and Cutwater.