''The Whipping Boy'' is a children's novel by Creator/SidFleischman.
Prince Horace, better known as "Prince Brat", runs away from home, and forces his servant Jemmy (whose job it is to be whipped in the prince's place whenever the prince misbehaves, since it's illegal to whip royalty) to accompany him.
Winner of the 1987 NewberyMedal.
!!This book provides examples of:
* BigDamnHeroes: Betsy and Petunia arrive in time to stop the thugs from attacking the two boys. And when they refuse to let them go, Betsy yells "Sic 'em, Petunia!", and the bear chases them off.
* BreakTheHaughty: Prince Horace.
* ButtMonkey: Jemmy, which kind of comes with the territory of being a whipping boy.
* CharacterDevelopment: Prince Horace towards the end. Jemmy to a certain extent as well.
* FluffyTheTerrible: Betsy's dancing bear, Petunia.
* LonelyRichKid: Prince Horace.
* MistakenForServant: When the prince and Jemmy are abducted, the abductors believe Jemmy is the prince and Horace is the whipping boy, because Jemmy has better manners and hasn't been shirking his education.
* NamesToRunAwayFromReallyFast: Hold-Your-Nose Billy and Cutwater.
* PrideBeforeAFall: Prince Horace.
* RoyalBrat / SpoiledBrat: Prince Horace.
* TheRunaway: Prince Horace runs away out of sheer boredom and drags Jemmy along for the ride.
* TheScapegoat: Jemmy's role as the whipping boy.
* StreetSmart: Jemmy.