[[quoteright:350:http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/the-walking-dead-rise-of-the-governor_4404.jpg]]'''''The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor''''' is a novel written by Robert Kirkman and Jay Bonansinga. It is the first of three prequel novels to Kirkman's comic ''ComicBook/TheWalkingDead''.
The story focuses on the man that would later become the Governor; in the early days of the ZombieApocalypse, Philip Blake, his brother Brian and daughter Penny struggle to survive not only the undead but their fellow man.
!!The novel contains examples of the following tropes:
* AbusiveParents - Philip and Brian had them.
* AntiHero: Both Philip and Brian start out as these though in different ways
* BewareTheNiceOnes - [[spoiler: Brian.]]
* BreakTheCutie - Penny.
* ColdBloodedTorture - [[spoiler: Philip repeatedly tortures, degrades (and in the case of the woman, rapes) the group responsible for his daughter's death.]]
* [[spoiler:DeadPersonImpersonation]] - [[spoiler: Brian becomes Philip at the end of the novel.]]
* [[spoiler: DecoyProtagonist]] - [[spoiler: By the end of the novel, it's clear that Philip was a RedHerring and that this was Brian's story.]]
* DoomedByCanon - We know at the very least from the comics that Penny is set to become a zombie.
* DrivenToVillainy - The Governor.
* FaceHeelTurn - [[spoiler: Brian goes from being the voice of reason to...well, you know.]]
* ForegoneConclusion - Surprisingly averted given the subject matter.
* HeWhoFightsMonsters - Philip, among others.
* InfantImmortality - Subverted.
* JumpingOffTheSlipperySlope - Philip struggles with this throughout the novel.
* KillEmAll - By the end of the novel, [[spoiler: Brian is the only survivor.]]
* KlingonPromotion - [[spoiler:Brian gains control of Woodbury via this.]]
* LimitedSpecialCollectorsUltimateEdition - A deluxe leatherbound edition with illustrations by series artist Charlie Adlard was also released.
* MercyKill - [[spoiler:Nick puts "Sonny and Cher", two members of the gang that killed Penny, out of their misery after Philip tortures them repeatedly over an extended period of time.]]
* MoralityChain - Penny is the one thing that keeps Philip from snapping.
* MythologyGag - After leaving a zombie-infested community, Brian leaves a sign outside warning newcomers not to enter. In the comics, Rick and his crew come upon the same exact place, but don't notice the warning until it's too late.
* MyGodWhatHaveIDone - Philip after he [[spoiler:rapes April.]]
* ObliviouslyEvil: For that matter, at the time, Phillip doesn't even seem to ''realize'' he's [[spoiler: raping April]] and seems to only think [[spoiler: that it's just GladToBeAliveSex]].
* PapaWolf - Philip to Penny.
* ReplacementGoldfish - [[spoiler: Brian at the end replaces his dead brother with... himself.]]
* StartOfDarkness - For the Governor.
* TwistEnding - [[spoiler: Think that Philip is destined to be the Governor? Nope, it's his meek, ineffectual brother who takes on Philip's name and legacy.]]
* UndeadChild - The eventual fate of Penny.
* VillainProtagonist - The Governor.
* WeHardlyKnewYe: Bobby is killed fairly early
* WellDoneSonGuy - Brian is this to Philip.
* WhatHappenedToMommy - After Penny is killed and subsequently turned into a zombie, Philip refuses to have her put down. [[spoiler: After Philip dies, Brian continues to take care of her. The comics show that he regularly feeds her body parts.]]
* WhatHappenedToTheMouse: We never see Tara and April again after the former kicks the group out of their apartment.
* WoobieDestroyerOfWorlds - Philip and [[spoiler: Brian]].