->''"[[ArcWords Step follows step.\\
Hope follows courage.]]\\
Set your face toward danger.\\
Set your heart on victory."''
-->--'''Drualt''', ''The Bamarrian epic''
Princesses Meryl and Adelina are polar opposites. Meryl, the elder, wants nothing more than to embark on a grand adventure. Addie, the younger, wants nothing more than to stay at home under Merylís watchful eye for the rest of her days, in peace and safety.
But Fate would [[YouCantFightFate have it differently]]. When Meryl is struck down by the deadly Gray Death, Addie must put aside her fears to [[FindTheCure quest for the cure]], in a [[RaceAgainstTheClock race against time]].
!!Provides examples Of:
* ActionGirl: Meryl is already one at the beginning, before falling ill. Addie becomes one reluctantly.
* [[spoiler: BittersweetEnding: Addie has grown as a person, and Meryl isn't dead, but they are still separated.]]
* DragonHoard: Vollys' lair.
* EmergencyTransformation: [[spoiler: Meryl, too near death to survive as a human, is transformed into a fairy.]]
* EverythingsBetterWithPrincesses: [[ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin It is right there in the title, after all.]]
* FictionalDocument: The epic tale of ''Drualt''. [[spoiler: Subverted when Drualt himself appears towards the end.]]
* FlightOfRomance: The sorcerer Rhys creates a magical scene showing him doing this with Princess Addie, and then later they do it for real.
* GlamourFailure: Spectres can't leave footprints.
* IceCreamKoan: ''Homely Truths'' is full of these.
--> '''Vollys''': "What I adore about the best of them is that they almost mean something!"
* MayflyDecemberRomance: Sorcerers are known to live more than two hundred years. Addie falls in love with Rhys [[spoiler: and marries him at the end of the book.]]
* OutOfCharacterAlert: Addie notices this in retrospect after a spectre impersonates Rhys, noting that the real Rhys would never steal, as the fake one suggested doing.
* ReminiscingAboutYourVictims: Vollys fondly recalls her previous "guests".
* ScheherazadeGambit: Addie knows that dragons are lonely, so when Vollys captures her, she spends her time embroidering flattering pictures of the dragon, and befriending her. It's revealed that Vollys deliberately invokes this, kidnapping a person to ease her loneliness, and enjoying their company until she inevitably grows bored with them and kills them.
* ShipTease: Between Addie and Rhys and Meryl and [[spoiler: Drualt.]]
* SiblingYinYang: Addie and Meryl
* SprintShoes: Addie's Seven League Boots.
* TakingYouWithMe: The dragon Yune, toward humanity in general.
* TheCallKnowsWhereYouLive: Addie resists adventure until Meryl is struck.
* TheKingdom: of Bamarre.
* ThePlague/TheBlackDeath: The Gray Death, [[spoiler: which turns out to be a MysticalPlague.]]
* TreasureRoom: Vollysí lair.
* VoluntaryShapeshifting: Spectres. They can take the image of anyone.
* WizardsLiveLonger: Wizards can live centuries. They are a separate species from humans with a longer lifespan.