Written by Polly Horvath in 1999, The Trolls is a child's novel based in the present time with stories told by Aunt Sally dating back twenty or so years ago. The Trolls was a National Book Award finalist, and is a Boston Globe-Horn Book Award Honor book.
The books starts out with Mr. and Mrs. Anderson, parents of Melissa, Amanda and Pee Wee, having planned a trip to Paris, but the babysitter cancels last minute due to a development of bubonic plague requiring them to resort to the only available person left: Aunt Sally. Once Aunt Sally arrives and the children’s parents leave they are treated to many of Aunt Sally’s stories revolving around her life in Vancouver with her eccentric family.
!![[TheTrolls The Trolls]] Contains examples of:
* AnAesop: While little ones crop up here and there in Aunt Sally's stories, perhaps the biggest message is also, interestingly, the stealthiest one: be nice to your siblings.
** [[spoiler: [[FantasticAesop Don't feed your siblings to trolls]]]]
* AuthorAppeal: Polly Horvath lives in Vancouver and milks it for all it's worth.
* BlackMagic: SubvertedTrope. The Wiccan's only preform 'friendly' spells.
* CanadaEh: Aunt Sally both pokes fun at and provides true facts about Vancouver.
* [[CoolUncle Cool Aunt]]: Aunt Sally is for the kids.
** Great-Uncle Louis thinks he's a CoolUncle, but only Robbie really thinks he is.
* CloudCuckooLander: Mad Maud.
* DysfunctionalFamily: Aunt Sally's generation has become very dysfunctional after [[spoiler: she and her siblings ditch Robbie on the beach with 'the trolls']]
* EccentricMentor: Aunt Sally, under the guise of telling the kids interesting stories, is definitely still teaching the children a thing or two.
* EccentricTownsfolk: The residence of Aunt Sally's hometown in Vancouver.
* ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin: Fat-Little-Mean-Girl is in fact a fat, little, mean girl.
* FormallyNamedPet: Mrs. Gunderson.
** And the new Mrs. Gunderson.
* LargeHam: Definitely Great-Uncle Louis, who came for two weeks and stayed for six years.
* MaybeMagicMaybeMundane: Did the potion the Wiccans gave Aunt Sally and her sibling really work, or did Fat-Little-Mean-Girl just react to drinking something... weird.
** [[spoiler: Were there really Trolls that lived out in the caves on the beach?]]
* MamaBear: In one of the stories Mad Maud told, a mother is killed saving her child from a cougar.
* OnlyKnownByTheirNickname: [[ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin Fat-little-Mean-Girl.]]
** Subverted at the end, when [[spoiler:the kids learn that she married their uncle John, and reveal that she was their "Aunt Mariah".]]
* OverusedRunningGag: Great-Uncle Louis, who came for two weeks and stayed for six years.
* PapaWolf: Aunt Sally tells the kids how their grandfather was one of the quietest, nicest guys you could ever meet. When he learns that a clam bit the end of one of his kid's fingers off though, he goes after it with a shot gun.
* ReformedButRejected: Aunt Sally to her brother (and the kids' dad) Robbie.
* TheThingThatWouldNotLeave: Great-Uncle Louis, who came for two weeks and stayed for six years.