->What good is a toy that will wind down? What if you could give a toy a heart? A real heart. One that beat and beat and didn't stop. What ''couldn't'' you do if you could make a toy like that?
''The Toymaker'' is a '''very''' dark children's novel written by Jeremy de Quidt.
From the moment that the circus boy, Mathias, takes a small roll of paper from the dying conjuror, his fate is sealed. For on it is the key to a terrifying secret, and there are those who would kill him rather than have it told.
Pursued by the sinister Dr. Leiter with his exquisite doll and malevolent dwarf, preyed on by the circus master and his vicious painted wife, Mathias is drawn into a relentless nightmare. A nightmare that will lead him to the Toymaker, and to a knife as cruel as frost.
!!This novel contains examples of:
* ActionGirl: Katta.
* AntiHero: Katta.
* BigBad: Dr. Leiter.
* BiggerBad: The Toymaker.
* EyeScream: [[spoiler:Katta tries to blind a boy who threw a stone at her years ago]].
* FairyTale: Of the grimmest kind.
* FreakOut: [[spoiler:Katta goes mad once she's made into the Duchess]].
* HeartTrauma: The Toymaker used sparrows' hearts in his experiments. [[spoiler: Then he moved onto ''human'' hearts]].
* IHaveYouNowMyPretty: Katta is treated this way in the finale. [[spoiler:After all, every Duke needs his Duchess]].
* ImplacableMan: Valter the [[spoiler:clockwork]] dwarf.
* KarmaHoudini: The Toymaker gets away at the end, and it's implied he's still out there. Same with Valter.
* KillAndReplace: [[spoiler:This happened to the Duke]].
* PinballProtagonist: Mathias.
* RoboticReveal: [[spoiler:The Duke is made of clockwork; the real one has been dead for years]].
* SupportingProtagonist: Mathias, who only does one thing of import in the whole book.
* ZeroPercentApprovalRating: The Duke, though he used to be a kind and fair ruler. [[spoiler:This is because he was killed and had his heart harvested to make a clockwork replacement]].