In one of BeatrixPotter's early works, a pair of mice explore a dollhouse while [[LivingToys the occupants]] are out and wind up trashing the place.
!This book provides examples of:
* ChildrenAreInnocent: The girl who owns the dollhouse decides to prevent further mouse break-ins by getting a policeman doll.
* CivilizedAnimal: Tom Thumb and Hunca Munca.
* DullSurprise: Jane. She's a doll after all, so it's not like she can move her face.
* LivingToys: Lucinda and Jane.
* UnholyMatrimony: The two bad mice in the title are also a married couple.
* WomenAreWiser: While Tom Thumb indulges in aimless vandalism, his wife ransacks the house for things that would actually be useful to them.