The Stupids were the title characters of a series of books written by Harry Allard and illustrated by James Marshall. It features an unusual family that is ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin in that they are stupid and get easily mixed up when performing tasks, to the point that the dog and cat are smarter than them. The books were made into TheFilmOfTheBook in 1996, starring Tom Arnold as the family's patriarch, Stanley Stupid, for which he won a GoldenRaspberryAward for Worst Actor. The film was critically panned and was a BoxOfficeBomb.
!!Features examples of the following tropes:
* AdvertisedExtra: Creator/JennyMcCarthy was this in the film.
* HandCannon: One of the corrupt air force officers selling weapons on the black market demonstrates a pistol that is essentially a handheld GrenadeLauncher.
* SpannerInTheWorks: As one may guess, this is the family's role in the film against the villains.
* TooDumbToLive: The entire family.
* VideoCredits: Used at the close of the film.
* WhatAnIdiot: In-universe and pretty much the entire point of the books and film – a family who is too idiotic that even the most mundane, everyday tasks are an overwhelmingly great challenge.