''The Shockwave Rider'' is a science fiction novel by Creator/JohnBrunner, originally published in 1975. It is notable for its hero's use of computer cracking skills to escape pursuit in a dystopian future, and for the coining of the word "worm" to describe a program that propagates itself through a computer network.
It is also one of the first books to ever describe the internet (although the book calls it the data-net) as something prevalent in everyone's everyday life. If you read it when it came out, you might have trouble understanding why the threat to destroy the data-net is taken as almost the ultimate threat. Today, it is pretty easy to realize the economic and other disasters that would happen.
!!Tropes in this work:
* TheCracker: This is how the government sees Nick.
* DeusEstMachina: Well, the machine isn't exactly God, but it does see all and the ending is, without giving it away, interesting.
* EverythingIsOnline: In the near future, everything is.
* GovernmentAgencyOfFiction: The Bureau of Data Processing.
* HeelFaceTurn: [[spoiler:Paul Freeman]].
* InspectorJavert: [[spoiler:Also Paul Freeman]].
* LaResistance: Precipice
* TheMafia: [[spoiler:We find out they are running the government]].
** [[DarthWiki/RedesigningEva Natasha Grant]] must've been having a hell of a time.
* MyCountryRightOrWrong: [[spoiler: Again, Paul Freeman before his HeelFaceTurn]].
* TheNeidermeyer: Freeman's boss.
* ProphecyTwist: The Delphi pool.