''The Sellswords'' is a book trilogy by R.A. Salvatore that focuses on the stoic human assassin Artemis Entreri and the opportunistic dark elf mercanary Jarlaxle. A spin-off of Salvatore's [[Literature/TheLegendOfDrizzt Drizzt novels]], these novels are different from Salvatore's usual TabletopGame/ForgottenRealms novels in that it stars a duo of [[VillainProtagonist Villain Protagonists]].
!!Provides Examples Of:
* ChaoticNeutral[=/=]NeutralEvil: [[invoked]] Jarlaxle's canonical alignment varies between the two. He acts NE during the main ''Drizzt'' series (as a mercenary who only gets involved in drow power struggles [[OnlyInItForTheMoney when he's getting paid]]), but is closer to CN in ''The Sellswords''.
* ChronicBackstabbingDisorder: ''Servant of the Shard'' is about various criminal organizations trying to gain control of a powerful magical artifact. Naturally, there are backstabbings and betrayals galore.
* CombatPragmatist: Artemis Entreri is very skilled at using his surroundings and nearby objects against his foes.
* CrazyPrepared: Jarlaxle! A complete list of all the magical items and weapons he carries around with him would double or triple the length of this entry. Lots of them come in handy during his travels with Entreri.
* EnemyMine: [[spoiler:Cadderly (from ''Literature/TheClericQuintet'') joins forces with Artemis and Jarlaxle to destroy the Crystal Shard.]]
* EvilWeapon: Charon's Claw, an evil sentient sword. But Artemis has such a high degree of mental discipline and willpower that he is able to dominate the weapon and force it to serve him.
* HeroicWillpower: Artemis is able to bend Charon's Claw to his will though sheer mental strength. His iron willpower also makes him immune to the lure of the Crystal Shard.
* MacGuffin: The Shard in ''Servant of the Shard''.