''The Secret Island'' is a children's novel by author EnidBlyton. It follows the story of three siblings named Mike, Peggy and Nora. Their parents [[ParentalAbandonment had been lost for two years]] after their attempted to fly to [[LandDownUnder Australia]] with a homemade plane, putting them into the hands of their [[WickedStepmother Uncle Henry and Aunt Harriet]], who made them work in their farm all day long and provided them with nothing but the most basic of needs. Later on, they befriended a local boy called Jack, who lived a similarly unhappy life with his grandpa on the opposite side of a nearby lake. But Jack's got a secret. He knows of an island in the middle of the lake where they can all escape and live happily. Together, they hatch a plan to escape and start a new life.
!!!This novel contains examples of:
* AlternateCharacterInterpretation: Are their parents purely benevolent people who simply wanted to have fun, or are they greedy, egoistical glory hounds who spent lots of money building a plane for their own amusements while leaving little for their own struggling relatives?
* BigBrotherInstinct: One of a few reasons Mike wanted to run away is because he wants his sister to get a good life rather then being servants of their aunt and uncle. Later Jack is also this, [[spoiler:going to the mainland even after he almost got caught, just so his adoptive brother and sisters got a special Christmas presents]]
* CrazyPrepared: The kids, (instructed by Jack) when evading the policemen that were searching for them at the island.
* DeusExMachina: [[spoiler:At the end of the book, out of nowhere, the children's parents (who had been missing for two years) turned out to have been rescued]].
* EverythingsBetterWithCows: The children managed to smuggle a cow into the island by having it swim behind their rowboat.
* GadgeteerGenius: Plane. Homemade. Australia. Says a lot about their parents, doesn't it?
* GhibliHills: The island.
* HawaiianShirtedTourist: A bunch of rather idiotically obnoxious ones had a picnic on the island, threatening to give away the children's location.
* ImprobableAge: In a true EnidBlyton style.
* TeamMom: Peggy, who cooks for them, mends their clothes, and takes care of their little family.
* TreehouseOfFun: The Willow House.
* WhyDidItHaveToBeSnakes: The obnoxious tourists that visited the island for a little while were scared away by bats.
* WickedStepmother: Actually an uncle and an aunt, but close enough.