-->''My wicked mother slew me,\\
My dear father ate me,\\
My little brother whom I love\\
Sits below, and I sing above\\
Stick, stock, stone dead.''
'''''The Rose Tree''''' is an English FairyTale collected by Creator/JosephJacobs in ''English Fairy Tales''.
A man had a daughter by his first wife and a son by the second. The stepmother hated her stepdaughter. One day, when the girl had had candles she was bringing from the store stolen by a dog three times, the stepmother tricked her into letting her chop her head off. Then she baked her into a pie and fed her body to her husband. Her son took the body and buried it under a rose tree. In spring, when it bloomed, a bird appeared and sang in it. So beautiful was the song that a shoemaker gave her red shoes, a watchmaker a golden watch, and three millers a millstone.
She flew to their home and rattled the stone on the roof. The boy ran out, and she dropped the shoes at his feet. She rattled it again, and the man ran out, and she dropped the watch at his feet. Then she rattled it again, and the stepmother ran out, and she dropped the millstone on her head, so she died.
Full text [[http://www.surlalunefairytales.com/hanselgretel/stories/rosetree.html here]].
This is a GenderFlip of a common folktale, where the stepmother kills her stepson, like Creator/TheBrothersGrimm's "Juniper Tree".
* BackFromTheDead: As a bird.
* ChildEater: The father, albeit unwittingly.
* DueToTheDead: In both the good and evil versions
* FamilyUnfriendlyDeath: The stepmother's murdering the girl
* ItWasAGift: The bird gets three gifts for her song.
* OurGhostsAreDifferent: She's a bird!
* SoBeautifulItsACurse: The girl is murdered for her beauty and lovely golden hair.
* WickedStepmother: The murderous stepmother.