A brilliant short-story from a card gambling setting by Russian poet and writer Creator/AlexanderPushkin.
It has been adapted into opera and films, most notably the 1949 British film by Thorold Dickinson, starring Anton Walbrook.
!! Tropes provided by ''The Queen of Spade'':
* AccidentalMurder: [[spoiler: Countess ***]]
* DrivenToMadness: [[spoiler: Herman.]]
* GermanRussians: Herman.
* MadnessMantra: [[spoiler: Herman is driven into utter madness, and all he can mumble is "Three, seven, ace! Three, seven — queen!"]]
* MaybeMagicMaybeMundane: Did the magic formula really work? Did it ever exist in the first place?
* TheMusical: There is an opera adaptation.
* SpellMyNameWithABlank: Old countess *** in The Queen of Spades.
* VillainProtagonist: Herman deliberately tricks Lisaveta into falling in love with him and he never truly cared for her feelings.