'''''The Princess On The Glass Hill''''' is a Norwegian FairyTale collected by [[Creator/AsbjornsenAndMoe Peter Christen Asbjørnsen and Jorgen Moe]]. Creator/AndrewLang included it in ''The Blue Fairy Book.''
A farm had a field that would have been good for hay except that every St. John's night, all the grass was eaten. Two years, his oldest two sons stayed, but they were frightened off by an earthquake. The youngest waited through three earthquakes, and found the grass was eaten by a splendid horse, and by it was a brass suit of shining armor. He threw steel over it, which gave him power over it, so he rode it away to somewhere secret and told his brothers that nothing had happened to him. The next year, he did it again, though the armor was silver, and the next, when the suit was gold.
The king had his daugther sit on a glass mountain, and whoever would climb it and get the golden apples out of her lap would marry her. All the men who came to try it slipped and slid about, but a knight in a suit of brass armor rode up a third of the way, and then rode back, and the princess threw him one of the apples to encourage him, but he still rode off. The next it happened again, except that a knight in silver armor rode up two-thirds of the way up the hill, and the princess liked him better than the other. The third day, a knight in gold armor rode all the way up and took the apple, but rode off again immediately after.
When the king summoned all the nobles and knights, and none of them had it, he summoned everyone in the kingdom, and no one had the apples, and the king demanded whether everyone had come. The brothers admitted that their brother had not, and so he was fetched, and produced the apples, and married the princess.
Full text [[http://www.surlalunefairytales.com/authors/asbjornsenmoe/princessglasshill.html here]].
* BlatantLies: What Boots tells his brother about what happened.
* ColdIron: Tames the marvelous horses
* CoolHorse: They appear magically, and can ride up the glass hill.
* EngagementChallenge: To get to the princess on the glass hill.
* KnightInShiningArmor: What Boots appears like, in each horse's armor.
* LoveAtFirstSight: Or not quite first sight, since the princess can't see through the armor.
* RagsToRoyalty: Boots marries the princess.
* RuleOfThree: Three brothers, three horses, three days of the test
* YoungestChildWins: Boots is the youngest.