''The Perilous Gard'' is a young adult novel by Elizabeth Marie Pope. The book is set in Tudor England and tells a variant on the [[ChildBallad ballad]] of ''Literature/TamLin''. It won the Newbery Honor in 1975.
''Summary'': Kate and Alicia Sutton are young maids of honor to the Lady Elizabeth Tudor who is confined to her house at Hatfield under the extreme displeasure of her sister Queen Mary.
Alicia, a beautiful ditz, writes the queen to complain about the conditions at Hatfield. Needless to say, Her Majesty takes offense but elects to punish ''not'' the beautiful Alicia (who she's sure isn't responsible), but instead her older, plainer sister Kate. Kate is sent to live under house arrest at Elvenwood Hall in the care of Sir Geoffrey Heron.
She soon discovers she has walked into a somewhat fraught family situation: Sir Geoffrey's small daughter and only child, Cecily, disappeared under mysterious circumstances while in the care of her uncle Christopher Heron, who of course is now Sir Geoffrey's heir.Needless to say everybody draws the obvious conclusion and Christopher's Byronic posturing does nothing to help the situation.
This is followed by the revelation that the 'Elvenwood' really is the haunt of honest to God 'faeries' (or surviving pagans) who pay a yearly teind to Hell (or their gods) of one human life.
Guess why Cecily was taken. Guess what fate is intended for Christopher who has offered himself in exchange for his niece. Guess who has to save him.
!!Tropes included in this work.
* AwLookTheyReallyDoLoveEachOther - Kate and Christopher spend most of their time together arguing - and we all know what that means!
* BeautifulAllAlong - Kate gets a makeover during her time in the Fairy Hill.
* BreakingSpeech -The Guardian of the Falls gives Christopher a ReasonYouSuckSpeech combined with a [[StrawNihilist Nihilistic rant]] about life in general.
* CassandraTruth - Randal the bard is very knowledgeable about the FairFolk, but he's considered to be "touched in the head" and people don't realize that his songs and ramblings include vital information.
* CaveBehindTheFalls - One of the entrances to Fairy Hill is behind a waterfall.
* CurtainsMatchTheWindow - Alicia whose eyes match her golden curls.
* ColdIron - Zigzagged [[spoiler: The cold iron cross a village woman gives Kate doesn't hurt the FairFolk, but it does hurt Kate when she cuts her hand with it, preventing her from falling into an enchanted sleep.]]
* DistressedDude - Christopher, who is very difficult about being rescued.
* DeepSleep - when she arrives at the castle, she sleeps like the dead until the next afternoon.
* DumbBlond - Alicia
* BlackEyesOfEvil - The villain, to go with his black heart.
* TheFairFolk - Probably perfectly human pagans. Probably.
* GrayEyes - Characteristic of the Heron family, along with a heck of a stubborn streak.
* HumanSacrifice - The Teind
* InsultedAwake - Kate does this to Christopher while rescuing him.
* ItsAllMyFault - Christopher blames himself for Cecily's disappearance.
* JerkWithAHeartOfGold - Christopher. Or maybe a JerkAssWoobie?
* MustMakeAmends - Christopher lives in a leper's hut in penance for Cecily's disappearance, and later offers himself as a human sacrifice in her place.
* NoChallengeEqualsNoSatisfaction[=/=]LovePotion of the [[LoveAtFirstSight Love First Person Sighted]] variety - [[spoiler: The Green Lady gives Kate one to use but Kate refuses to accept it because she is afraid of it being fake and would not want a relationship based on false feelings.]]
* [[spoiler: RescueRomance. Of course the usual sex of rescuer and rescuee is reversed.]]
* TheVirginQueen - Kate and Alicia serve Elizabeth during her captivity. [[spoiler: She is crowned queen during Kate and Christopher's capitivity.]]
* YoungestChildWins - Alicia has always gotten everything.
** [[spoiler: Kate fears that Christopher falls in love with Alicia after meeting her, but this trope is averted as he is in love with Kate instead.]]